Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1964 Honda Dream CA78 Rebuild-storation

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
Bob750
honda305.com Member

Heli-Coil Installed

Post by Bob750 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:03 am

So I received my 6x1 Heli-Coil kit and went about the task of repairing the Primary Chain Tensioner mount point. I'm very satisfied with how it worked out. The upper bolt holds tightly now. This was something I had considerable worry over--whether I'd be able to make a good repair on such a crappy hole. I had to set the insert a little deeper than one normally would to clear the cratered upper section (to ensure that it was seated in only the good new threads), but after some inspection and experimentation, I determined that I have plenty of thread engagement.

Mine: '74 CB750 K4 -- Hers: '64 CA78
Had: '75 CB550 K, '79 CT90

Bob750
honda305.com Member

Completed Disassembly

Post by Bob750 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:33 am

We decided that going all the way is what we should do, so I'm getting local bids to powder coat the bike white and some other bits black and some other bits just grit blasted for me to paint silver.

EDIT 5/8/2013: We found a lot of Bondo in many places. So powdercoating is basically out of the question, since the filler would have to be removed and replaced with a metal filler like, brass or lead. That's beyond the scope of what we're prepared to do. So I've added some updates further down about how we're changing the plan. I just wanted to add this note for those just starting to read this thread... /EDIT

Anyone care to suggest a primer for aluminum under the silver Krylon or Duplicolor that you've used with great success and has withstood the test of time? Or are most of you painting silver over a freshly blasted part?

Also, is there an easy (yea right) way to remove the plastic knob from the left carb cover?

Hope everyone's having a good day!

-Bob
Last edited by Bob750 on Wed May 08, 2013 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hoosier Tom
honda305.com Member

Post by Hoosier Tom » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:31 am

Bob, Are you wanting restoration correct color keyed parts or are you doing it to suit your personal tastes?

HT

Tango911
honda305.com Member

Post by Tango911 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:49 am

if not going for a 100 point restore and correct color code. i would suggest powder coating for durability.

Hoosier Tom
honda305.com Member

Post by Hoosier Tom » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:59 am

Steve, I guess the crux of my question is does he want each part to be colored the shade it left the factory in as what parts should be white and what parts should be black, because if the top photo is all the parts he wants to be white there are three pieces that should be black.

HT

Bob750
honda305.com Member

Post by Bob750 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:14 pm

Hi Tom,

EDIT: I was composing this while you guys were chatting, so it looks like I'm ignoring Tango911... Steve, we are going the powder route... and HT, I would like to know which three parts you are talking about. /EDIT

A little of both, actually. We're going to try to get as close to the original white for the frame etc. I've been told the center stand should be black, and that the side stand should be zinc. For the tail light bracket black would be "correct," but my wife wants it white to match the bike.

I figured on all of the currently black parts on the sheet in the first pic becoming white, and the lower row of parts in the second pic being black (will mask off the steering part to only coat the lower part). The upper row in the second pic will just get grit blasted so I can paint them with either the Krylon 1403 or the Dupli-color HWP101. I am thinking of cold galvanizing the steel parts with CRC Zinc-It before the silver paint for rust prevention.

I was back and forth as to whether the side stand bracket should be white or black. I settled on white as it is essentially part of the frame when assembled--at least, that was my logic. I've also seen white bikes with black air filter covers, which to me just looks like someone needed one and threw whatever one he found on it without painting to match since, hey it's hidden by the side cover... Same with the tool tray which I got from Ohio Cycle for a kidney.

What are your thoughts? Are there certain parts we should be coloring differently? We do want it as correct as possible, aside from the tail light bracket which will match the bike according to the boss's preference. (It's her bike; I just work on it!) ;-)

I would appreciate your advice and thoughts. I wouldn't mind knowing the specific correct attributes for each part. That way I would at least be able to make an informed decision on whether to stay correct or deviate for personal taste. We're not going for Concourse trophies; it's her rider (and first bike--nice low seat without being a lay back/reach forward/feet-up cruiser). But we do want it to be as awesome as it can be when it's all back together.

Thanks!
Hoosier Tom wrote:Bob, Are you wanting restoration correct color keyed parts or are you doing it to suit your personal tastes?

HT

Hoosier Tom
honda305.com Member

Post by Hoosier Tom » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:36 pm

Bob,

The three parts would be the tail light bracket, seat mount bracket and the sidestand/footpeg mount assy that should be black. I agree with your wife that the tail light bracket wil look better white. The front and rear brake plate stays should be zinc plated. I believe the sidestand should be zinc plated while the center stand would be black. Make it how it best pleases you (and the Mrs.).

Have fun! HT

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home