Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Other things to look for in lower case?

jsmith1107
honda305.com Member

Other things to look for in lower case?

Post by jsmith1107 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:00 pm

Have everything apart, new valve guides in, valve job done by a local guy who has done a lot of these. Piston sleeves were honed out ever so slightly so I can just put the original pistons in. I have never had this bike running because it was stuck. Before putting everything back in the lower case and then sealing it up with the top case, other things I should check first. I, like others, have the Bill Silver manuals to help guide me thru but wondering if anyone else can give me advice on some things that really need to be looked at before assembly?

The reason I ask is because I am a bit skittish about making a mistake and having to tear it all apart again when I have it in the frame and looking nice. I am a first timer at the engine.

CJ
honda305.com Member

Re: Other things to look for...

Post by CJ » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:13 pm

J:

Congratulations and good for you for a 'first time' undertaking of an engine rebuild!

If you haven't already done so, be sure you remove and clean under the lower case oil baffles (OIL SEPARATOR 11751-259-000). If not removed, you would be amazed at how much crud can survive a steam/pressure cleaning, especially if the engine has sat for any length of time.

Also, double check that you have all the 'dowel/pins' (10X14 and 10X20) in place, before putting the case together.

Cheers,
CJ
------------------
1966 Honda CB77
1966 Honda CP77

jsmith1107
honda305.com Member

Post by jsmith1107 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:26 pm

CJ,
Thanks for the ideas---I have taken everything apart and did clean that area, it was a mess.

And yep, I know what you mean about the dowels, already have that taken into account.

Thanks,
Jeff

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home