□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Two guys and a bike

Moyomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by Moyomoto » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:47 pm

Did some more work on Monday. Removed the cylinder, starter motor, some side covers. The left crank case cover screws are all stripped so that will be fun later this week. Also I broke the starter sprocket cover. There was a stripped screw and I tried to create some space when it snapped like a tortilla chip! ALSO the cylinder studs are a beast to get out! Posting photos of my progress, the snapped side cover and my method for removing the studs! Hope someone will find this useful!

Davomoto. Thanks for your insight! I will definitely have to pick that up. Currently I have been using "How to Restore Your Motorcycle" by Mark Zimmerman.

Last edited by Moyomoto on Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

conbs
honda305.com Member

Hints

Post by conbs » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:31 pm

1. Why did you take the cylinder studs out?

2. Those screws you are "stripping out" are not Phillips heads. They are pre-'67 Japanese Industrial Standard. If you are trying to use Phillips head screw drivers to remove them you will almost always "cam out" the head. The angles are different where the screw driver fits down in the head. You can make a #3 Phillips work fairly well if you grind a little of the tip off so it sits down in the head enough to where all of the shoulders are fully engaged. Better to get yourself the right size JIS Screwdriver/bit.

If you are having trouble with anything take the time to use the "search" function on this site (up above in the middle). It is not great, but you will find an enormous amount of information on this site. Others have probably had every problem you will face and there is likely an answer on this site if you take the time to search for it. Use different words and combinations of words and click the "posts" icon in the lower left.

3. Have you mic'ed your cylinders and pistons? When you do let us know what you find.

Best wishes on your project.

48lesco
honda305.com Member

Post by 48lesco » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:55 pm

Hi - Probably information you needed a couple of hours ago, but why are you removing the cylinder studs? Also, those look like CB or CL77 pistons which will result in a little lower compression that CA77 pistons. Those starter sprocket covers are a dime-a-dozen on ebay... One other tidbit is that the 3, 4, and 5mm screws like on the starter motor cover, and the points plate, as well as others that I can't remember are not the current standard metric thread pitch. They are the old J.I.S. pitch as described in the front of your parts book. Just be aware that if you buy new screws they won't be right. Luckily, the 6mm screw pitch didn't change.

You can't beat a hand impact driver with a No.3 bit for those case screws:
1) Clean out the head of the screw and wipe a dab of valve grinding compound into it to give the bit better grip.
2) Put just the Phillips bit into the screw and hit it "firmly" with a dead-blow hammer a couple of times but not hard enough to break anything. This will help break it loose and also seat the bit into the screw.
3) Use the hand impact driver and the same hammer to break it free...

Moyomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by Moyomoto » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:45 pm

Thanks for the fast responses!

Referencing the cylinder studs; why not remove them? If something can be taken apart I'm going to take it apart!

Referencing any stripped screws: There was no stripping on my behalf. they were already stripped. Most of them resemble more of an allen key than a JIS head. I plan on replacing most screws.

Tools added to the buy list: impact driver, micrometer, dial bore gauge, JIS bits...

What makes you say they're not CA77 pistons? I went through my list of invoice from the previous owners and dating back to '03 there's nothing on piston replacement but who knows!

I read pages and pages of forum a day but haven't felt that I've run in to any real problems that require searching!

DONZIE
honda305.com Member

Post by DONZIE » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:16 pm

Unfortunately... As the song goes ... Another one bits the dust

Moyomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by Moyomoto » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:54 pm

How constructive!

48lesco
honda305.com Member

Post by 48lesco » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:51 pm

If the cylinder studs aren't damaged, there's really no reason to unscrew them and there's a chance that they will break. There is a certain satisfaction to complete disassembly though and we understand that...

If you search CA77 pistons you'll see an obvious difference in the design of the crown.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home