Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

New here, and I need help.

Fletcha221
honda305.com Member

New here, and I need help.

Post by Fletcha221 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:42 pm

I'm restoring a ca77. Everything is going well, however, I broke the speedometer when I was cleaning it. Is there any places that sell repops of these? I see a lot of ca95, ca72 etc speedos out there on ebay. Decent ca77 speedos seem to be VERY expensive. If I can't find one, can I use a ca95 headlamp (or another model) on my ca77, thus being able to buy a new speedo. Any insight would be really helpful.

Kind regards,

Christian

conbs
honda305.com Member

Broken Speedo

Post by conbs » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:07 am

What did you break? What brand is your speedo?

Fletcha221
honda305.com Member

Post by Fletcha221 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:14 am

Well, I removed the speedo retaining frame to take the glass out and clean the face. As I pulled the glass off, it slipped out and fell to the floor, chipping the edge. I then decided to cut my losses and put the chipped glass back....this is when things really went down hill. I really bent the hell out of the chrome retaining....thing. It is a Nippon. My bike is technically a ca78, 1965.

conbs
honda305.com Member

Speedo

Post by conbs » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:06 am

If I understand correctly, the glass is nothing special and you could get a new one cut at a local glass shop. If that is not correct, I hope someone smarter than me will weigh in here. All that said, I have a CA78 speedo with broken glass, too. I bought a very rusty parts speedo on ebay. When I took it apart the glass seemed to have some kind of plastic coating on the back side. I asked on this site, the response indicated that a plastic coating was not standard issue. It did not look to me like the speedo had been apart before, but no one seemed to think the glass should have a plastic coating. So, I would try a glass shop. Make sure the glass is the right thickness, though.

The bezel is made of brass. You should be able to get it straightened, though you would need to find someone who knows how to do restoring vs a body shop that does collision repair. You might also try to find someone that services band instruments. "Brass" instruments are made of brass (duh) and they get dented. The old school repair guys use special wheels and the like to remove dents. There should be a local guy who can help.

Last resort, find a parts speedo on ebay. as a rule the chrome on the bezels doesn't seem to be too good. I did find one good one good bezel on 4 parts speedo's that I bought.

The reproduction decal place in Canada sells face decals for the Nippon.

Hope that helps.

OldHarley
honda305.com Member

Post by OldHarley » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:49 pm

There is a well written topic on speedometer repair on this very Dream forum. Too bad you didn't read it first.

As you have mentioned yourself, replacement speedometers are very expensive and not too easy to find.

Sometimes it is better to find a qualified professional, rather than risk damaging an expensive/hard-to-find part if you lack the mechanical aptitude to do a repair.

Fletcha221
honda305.com Member

Post by Fletcha221 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:53 am

Can anyone shed some light on using another headlamp? Is it possible?

Tinman
honda305.com Member

Post by Tinman » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:11 pm

Fletch,

If you have difficulty in either finding someone to repair your speedo or find a suitable replacement, call Charlie's Place in San Francisco, they have rebuilt speedos.

In answer to your last post about headlights, they also sell those. Classic Honda Restoration also sells the headlights. Here are the links.

http://www.charlies-place.com/PAGES/Sto ... peedo.html
http://www.classichondarestoration.com/ ... tml?page=2

Good luck,
Tinman

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home