Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Front fork disassembly

junk726
honda305.com Member

probably destroyed fork leg...

Post by junk726 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:38 pm

well...first off..you were EXACTLY right! the PO somewhere along the way when he was lucky enough to have a front fender used longer bolts or over tightened leaving me 2 big "pips" in my lower fork tubes!:( ugh! that's the good news...that i found the problem thanks to your suggestion...now for the BAD news..i "succeeded" in removing the tube using the slide hammer technique..but to my horror..when it came out i found the damper valve scarred up (kinda expected that)..and the lower fork piston still stuck in tube! the snap ring on bottom must have broke off (i can hear it rattling below it)...i was able to grind down the upper "pip" but cant get to the lower one because the piston is jammed on it...i am gonna try and put tube back in and force the piston down below lower "pip" then HOPE i can reach it to grind it down and hopefully remove the piston..yikes..ALL THIS just to paint my lowers and clean up everything/seals..i am SERIOUSLY regretting this...i am off to a "wonderful" start on this resto! anyways..ANY further ideas/help..greatly appreciated! here's my main question..how bad off am i as far as if i can't repair the damage to the piston and valve, are they even replaceable??!! i may not even attempt the 2nd fork!! at this point..i will tape em off and paint em and just do seals! wow..somebody else must have made my same "mistake"/bad luck..them "pips" are serious issues! wow..started out an "easy" task..fork seals..haha

junk726
honda305.com Member

pic of internals..

Post by junk726 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:41 pm

#5 is stuck...(piston)..and i damaged pretty good #6...damper valve...wondering availability..or start repairing/ebay shopping for another fork! ugh
Attachments
clfork.gif

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:52 am

You should be able to pick up the bits you need. On my CB77 fork I chose to sacrifice the fork lower by drilling through and getting rid of the pip that way. I managed to pick up a replacement fork lower.

I didn't realise that I had this problem until I had scored one lower bush. I am lucky in that I have my own lathe so I can make simple parts like these. When you get the forks apart, you will realize that there should be no force involved to get these apart. If you need force, there is something wrong....

Luckily the damage created with the overtightened bolts does not interfere with normal operation as it is between the two bushes. Your strategy for leaving the other fork alone is a workable plan. Just take off the sleeve holder, pant, and reassemble.

On the CL I was able to get a grinding bit in and just carefully grind away until the innards were free to come out.

The piston is available at CMS http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cl72-scrambl ... 442273000/

Ohio Cycle also has the bush - part 51442-273-000 and the damper valve 51443-273-000

Good luck!

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

junk726
honda305.com Member

fork pips..

Post by junk726 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:09 am

G Man..thanks a million for your help! i guess i learned my lesson..this will be a LONG winter of learning the hard way...i thought the hard part of the forks was (and should be) the strap wrench/special tool and removing the chrome housing that holds the seal...i should have stopped there! oh well..i will take your advice and leave the 2nd fork alone! I will be happy if i can get the stuck piston out and good to hear that the "pips" don't affect ride..( i was curious of that fact!) done deal..i will let ya know how my first debacle ends up...here goes! thanks to everybody for chiming in and offering help..greatly appreciated! and thanks for putting up with my dumb posts! MORE to come i am sure...

Ford Guy
honda305.com Member

Post by Ford Guy » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:27 am

If you are interested I have a set of steel lowers that I took off my bike. I switched to 8" brakes so I had to change the fork lowers. I would let them go at a reasonable price. As far as I know they are in good working order as the bike rode fine before the rebuild. I do see some sign of water getting in the one boot but I do not think it ever went past the seal. PM me if you are interested.

Jon

junk726
honda305.com Member

lesson learned!

Post by junk726 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:45 am

well..thanks to ALL u guys for your help! Davo..u the man!!..(hooked me up on a set of type 1 forks that were bent and i was able to see how EASILY the type 1 forks SHOULD come out of the lowers)! after u conquer removing the chrome housing that is..THAT should be your hardest obstacle..UNLESS u have a set with the "pips" from too long of bolts to mount fender! wow..thanks again for the help! just finished combining the lower from Davo's set and i am leaving my other fork alone!! not risking it..it does have "pips" in it..but i am taking the advice and just replacing the leaky seals and all cleaned up new fluid..good to go!! on to bigger and more fun things...forum rules...(stay tuned for my next dumb mistake..)..hoping not..but here we go..forks=DONE.

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:56 am

No problem JR ! It was great meeting you, and I'm sure you'll be back in the shop before she's done!

Davo

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home