□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Compressing new rings into cylinder?

rzgkane
honda305.com Member

Re: Compressing new rings into cylinder?

Post by rzgkane » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:29 pm

Forest wrote:hey guys so im trying to get my ca77 back on the road. I finally got my cylinders bored to 1mm os and the new 1mm os pistons and rings installed but im having trouble trying to compress the rings to slip the cylinders down into place. Because the pistons move 360° together its hard to compress the rings on both pistons at the same time. I dont have a ring compressor tool, ive been trying to do it with a thin wooden stick. Any help and tricks for getting this done would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Loud Mouse described to me a method using a toothbrush once. Maybe he can chime in here.
1965 CA77Dream

houseowax
honda305.com Member

Post by houseowax » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:58 pm

Do you have someone that might help you out? I just finished this operation and had a friend lower the head over the pistons as I compressed the rings. It was a piece of cake.
Otherwise- I have a ring compressor. Cost me 8 bucks at the auto parts store and it made short work of the task.
'63 CA77 - Giving me all kinds of headaches.
'64 CA77 - Patiently waiting it's turn
'65 CB77 - A 'great winter project'

Forest
honda305.com Member

Post by Forest » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:24 am

Unfortunately I don't have anyone around to give the extra hands so I'm stuck trying to make it happen myself. I have some old hose clamps laying around but I'm not sure if they are going to be wide enough to do the job. I'm usually in the habit of trying to do things without too many costly tools but if those ring compressors are only 8 bucks and make my life a whole lot easier then it's probably worth it. I guess I would need to buy two rings compressors though so I can slip the cylinder down over both pistons at the same time.

I'm so ready to get my baby back together...that engine has been sitting in my living room bench for way too long! I miss the sound of her and her wonderful scent firing up at 6am on a cold morning.

Forest
honda305.com Member

Post by Forest » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:47 am

Success. So you guys were all right. Thanks for the help. The hose clamps worked out perfect. The hose clamps are just wide enough to cover all three rings. Just make sure the clamp and rings are oiled and tighten the clamps to just the right tension that they will compress the rings but still loose enough to slide off. I used a soft mallet to tap down on the cylinder and it worked great. By the way, I bought ring compressors but they didn't even work as well as the hose clamps did- they got returned right away.

Thanks for all the advice.

-Forest

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home