Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

adjusting throttle cable advise?

bart3
honda305.com Member

adjusting throttle cable advise?

Post by bart3 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:31 am

Having trouble getting ANY spring in throttle handle—it just sticks when I twist it with no pop back at all. I did change the handle bars to strait instead of high rise so there is probably access cable now, it worked ok before that. I adjusted the screws near the handle all the way out to increase tension to no avail. Not sure what's next, or how to shorten the cable. Any thoughts?

thanks much!

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: adjusting throttle cable advise?

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:47 am

May be as simple as moving the throttle out 1/8 inch. .......lm??????????
bart3 wrote:Having trouble getting ANY spring in throttle handle—it just sticks when I twist it with no pop back at all. I did change the handle bars to strait instead of high rise so there is probably access cable now, it worked ok before that. I adjusted the screws near the handle all the way out to increase tension to no avail. Not sure what's next, or how to shorten the cable. Any thoughts?

thanks much!

bart3
honda305.com Member

Post by bart3 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:49 pm

Thanks, I tried to move the handle and cable a bit to the right but it didn't seem to make a difference. May just need a shorter cable now. Appreciate the advice!

teazer
honda305.com Member

Post by teazer » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:11 am

Loosen the throttle and try to rotate it slightly to see if that helps with cable routing, or re-route the cable to eliminate tight turns.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:11 am

If there is a screw at the bottom of the throttle I recommend you back it out to see if it is the problem. .......lm
bart3 wrote:Thanks, I tried to move the handle and cable a bit to the right but it didn't seem to make a difference. May just need a shorter cable now. Appreciate the advice!

jerrybb
honda305.com Member

sticking throttle

Post by jerrybb » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:52 am

Are you sure the carb slide isn't sticking? I had that on mine, if the two carb nuts are too tight it torques the body and the slide sticks open. When I loosened them a bit, it just snapped back in place.

bart3
honda305.com Member

Post by bart3 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:11 am

I tried everything you all said and it's working much better overall, still no real snap but it doesn't stick like it used to and I can ride it now. Thank you very much for the help!!!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home