Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

White wall cleaning!

ROBM50
honda305.com Member

White wall cleaning!

Post by ROBM50 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:39 am

Hey guys, I've always used the Bleeche-White product to clean my white walls but after my last application the rear tire still has a sorta of a bone white color and is noticeably duller than the front which cleans up really white. I remember leaving the solution on for a considerably longer time before I removed it with a damp cloth. I would like to know if there is any alternative product that can restore the white appearance to tire?

Goodysnap
honda305.com Member

Re: White wall cleaning!

Post by Goodysnap » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:52 am

ROBM50 wrote:Hey guys, I've always used the Bleeche-White product to clean my white walls but after my last application the rear tire still has a sorta of a bone white color and is noticeably duller than the front which cleans up really white. I remember leaving the solution on for a considerably longer time before I removed it with a damp cloth. I would like to know if there is any alternative product that can restore the white appearance to tire?
I've been using Wesleys Bleach white on all of my vehicles for years with good results.

Some people like Simple Green but I dont think it gets them WHITE enough.

How old is the tire? How long has it been not white?
64' CB77
65' CB160

pknopp
honda305.com Member

Post by pknopp » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:12 am

My theory........Bleeche-White removes a bit of the white every time you use it. Especially if it's a newer style wide white as they are not made like they used to be.

After awhile the black is going to start bleeding through.

I have Coker wide whites on one of my cars and I only use Bleeche-White on a rare occasion.

Just another thought......this might be a good use for the whitewall paint. It's going to go over white so you won't get the bleed through you get putting it on black. If you brush it you will get brush marks if you look close but you could do it on the bike. You could spray it but you are going to have to take if off the bike to do that.

Just some random thoughts.

ROBM50
honda305.com Member

White wall cleaning

Post by ROBM50 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:43 pm

Thanks guys for your very quick responses! The tires have only been on the bike a little over a year and they are the Coker Firestone tires. As far as the black bleeding through, someone told me once that the white makes up the whole tire and that the black was capped over the white. Any way, I'll either just live with it or possibly try the Simple Green that someone suggested or possibly the paint. Thanks again!

05hog
honda305.com Member

Post by 05hog » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:24 am

I use the Mr. Clean Magic eraser on the wide whites on a few of my Harleys. The Westleys works good, but it is caustic and will corrode around the spokes over time.

Snakeoil
honda305.com Member

Post by Snakeoil » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:10 pm

The old way to clean whitewalls was to use a cleanser like Comet or Babbo and a stiff brush. I use Bleeche White (it's not Westley's anymore) the same way. Spray it on, let it sit a few minutes and then scrub the tire with a stiff brush sprayed with Bleech White.

The cleanser did a great job on my Dad's '47 Buick when that was my job as a kid.

regards,
Rob

KellieLyyne
honda305.com Member

Post by KellieLyyne » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:31 pm

Well I've tried all three of these and I have to say, hands down the easiest and best clean that Ive had on my portawalls was with the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Just a couple of swipes and hose'm off.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home