Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Help with throttle problem on '66 Dream

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: no spark

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:16 pm

Close points.
Check for continuity with ohm meter. (if no continuity clean points)
Turn on key. (12 volts at coil?)
Ground plug.
Open points with finger.
Should have spark. ............lm
styxjr wrote:Ok, everything back together, plugs look ok, but as I turn it over with one of the plugs pulled and grounded to the frame I get no spark. Tried the other plug - same - no spark. I doubt that both plugs are bad? ... so I'm on to paperslammer's points check procedure to see if I can get the light to come on at the F mark on the dyno. I'll be back ...

styxjr
honda305.com Member

points test

Post by styxjr » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:19 pm

Took the points off, cleaned with a points file, re-installed, gapped at .014 and ran paperslammer's test with a small 12V light bulb. The light does not light at all - neither at, before or after the "F" is on the golden pointer of justice.

I think I have an electrical/ground problem then? When Jensey says check that there is no resistance between the engine and the frame/negative terminal, does he mean there should be continuity or no continuity? Or is it a voltage measurement (12V)?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: points test

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:23 pm

12 volts at coil?. ....lm
styxjr wrote:Took the points off, cleaned with a points file, re-installed, gapped at .014 and ran paperslammer's test with a small 12V light bulb. The light does not light at all - neither at, before or after the "F" is on the golden pointer of justice.

I think I have an electrical/ground problem then? When Jensey says check that there is no resistance between the engine and the frame/negative terminal, does he mean there should be continuity or no continuity? Or is it a voltage measurement (12V)?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: points test

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:28 pm

You can test with your finger.
Paper Slammer Test?. .. ............lm
styxjr wrote:Took the points off, cleaned with a points file, re-installed, gapped at .014 and ran paperslammer's test with a small 12V light bulb. The light does not light at all - neither at, before or after the "F" is on the golden pointer of justice.

styxjr
honda305.com Member

tests

Post by styxjr » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:07 pm

Hey LOUD MOUSE, sorry, I was probably writing my post as you replied, didn't see it until now. After dinner I will follow your instructions. Thanks!

When I said paperslammer's test I was referring to his points and timing walk-thru with the light bulb - http://www.honda305.com/forums/honda-dr ... t5750.html

styxjr
honda305.com Member

broken wire

Post by styxjr » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:32 pm

While checking the coil voltage (thanks lm) I noticed this little green wire - it's completely broken off the terminal on the coil. I touched it to the terminal and got a spark! I think I just found the key to my throttle problem - or rather, it wasn't a throttle problem at all, but a coil grounding wire (and hence no spark) problem.

coil by styxjr, on Flickr

Unfortunately I don't have a tip for my soldering iron, so that will be tomorrow's job.

In the meantime I learned how to change a throttle cable, adjust the points and timing, and clean a carb. That's why we buy/rebuild/ride these old bikes right? :) Feels great to persevere and finally solve the problem.

A long road maybe for a simple problem but I enjoyed learning all I did along the way and I can't thank the people on this forum enough! There is so much useful information here if you're patient and read through it.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me out!
- styxjr

styxjr
honda305.com Member

Re: voltage at coil

Post by styxjr » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:05 pm

LOUD MOUSE wrote:12 volts at coil?. ....lm
Well, soldered the wire back on and no. No voltage at the coil (it reads 0.13V when the key is on).

Do you think the coil is shot?

It's cool up here in Canada, but the coil was warm to the touch after just a few minutes of turning the key on.

Edit: ignore the text in red. I just realized I checked the voltage at the wrong spot, doh! I have a reading of 10.56V across the coil. Sorry.

So the light bulb test from paperslammer's points and timing walk through does not work as I rotate the dyno around. I'll head out now and try grounding the plug and pulling the points apart with my finger but I suspect there won't be a spark there either.

After that, don't know where to go next ...

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home