Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Help with throttle problem on '66 Dream

styxjr
honda305.com Member

carb off

Post by styxjr » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:34 pm

Brewsky, the slide is 33mm on the long side, 31mm on the short side. The needle from the base inside of the sleeve to the tip is 35mm. I think it's the original carb but can't say for sure?

pknopp, yes, holding the top of the carb and twisting moves the slide up and down. I could also hear that action before I took it apart. The spring is pulling the cable back as well.

I took the carb off and pulled it apart and it looks pretty darn clean to me? Nothing floating in the fuel. A slight bit of varnishing happening in the bottom of the float bowl, but it doesn't look dirty to me? (but I can honestly say I haven't seen the inside of too many carbs)

Pics below. The float seems to be made of copper? so it appears rusty in the photo but it's not.

I've heard that an ultra sonic clean is the right way to clean a carb, but I've also heard Simple Green does a good job too? The local auto supply here sells some carb cleaner that I might try first?

A flashlight from the bottom shows light through the main jet and the jet beside the main one (don't know what it's called) is showing some light too, but it appears to be a smaller hole by design? Either way it's not completely blocked.

So, I'll clean the carb, put a new throttle cable on anyway and then try to start it again.

carb by styxjr, on Flickr

bowl by styxjr, on Flickr

styxjr
honda305.com Member

a couple more questions...

Post by styxjr » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:39 pm

Oh, and this might sound obvious, but I'm new so 1) I'm sure I have to remove the gaskets (float and airway) before putting it into any kind of solution? Can they be saved or do I need new ones?

2) There is a small nozzle that comes out the bottom of the bowl - nothing was hooked up to it but it looks like a hose should attach to it? Or is it just some kind of overflow thing?

3) do I need to lubricate the slide (valve) before putting it back in? And the choke slider assembly as well?

Sorry for so many carb questions ... I guess I should buy Mr. Silver's books sooner than later. :)

styxjr
honda305.com Member

Post by styxjr » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:23 pm

Started researching carbs on the forum, wow, a lot to learn. I think I can find the answers to most of my carb questions if I look hard enough though. Thanks for all the help so far guys.

I'll report back with my results soon.

brewsky
honda305.com Member

Re: a couple more questions...

Post by brewsky » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:18 am

styxjr wrote:Oh, and this might sound obvious, but I'm new so 1) I'm sure I have to remove the gaskets (float and airway) before putting it into any kind of solution? Can they be saved or do I need new ones?

2) There is a small nozzle that comes out the bottom of the bowl - nothing was hooked up to it but it looks like a hose should attach to it? Or is it just some kind of overflow thing?

3) do I need to lubricate the slide (valve) before putting it back in? And the choke slider assembly as well?

Sorry for so many carb questions ... I guess I should buy Mr. Silver's books sooner than later. :)
Gaskets should be removed before cleaning.

They can be re-used if not damaged, hardened, crumbling etc.

The nipple at the bottom of the bowl is an overflow drain connected to the brass tube sticking up in the bowl.

I always spray WD 40 on the bodies and parts prior to re-assembly.

The length measurement for the slide is ok.....my eyes must have been skewed!

Good luck.
66 dream, 78 cb750k, 02fz1, 09 wing

pknopp
honda305.com Member

Post by pknopp » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:29 pm

Simple Green works great in an ultrasonic.

styxjr
honda305.com Member

Update

Post by styxjr » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:51 pm

Hi guys, I put the new throttle cable on tonight, cleaned the carb (with carb cleaner - pknopp I will take your advice and put it through an ultrasonic clean at the end of this riding season).

Tomorrow I will try to start it. I couldn't try tonight because I (gently) pulled one of the spark plugs out using a 3/4" socket which didn't really fit too well. None of my regular spark plug sockets fit the plugs? Are they metric? I figured it was safe enough to pull the plug out but I don't want to risk putting it back in without the proper size socket. I'll pick one up tomorrow and update this thread then. Cheers!

styxjr
honda305.com Member

no spark

Post by styxjr » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:16 pm

Ok, everything back together, plugs look ok, but as I turn it over with one of the plugs pulled and grounded to the frame I get no spark. Tried the other plug - same - no spark. I doubt that both plugs are bad? ... so I'm on to paperslammer's points check procedure to see if I can get the light to come on at the F mark on the dyno. I'll be back ...

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home