Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Help with throttle problem on '66 Dream

styxjr
honda305.com Member

Help with throttle problem on '66 Dream

Post by styxjr » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:06 pm

Hi everyone, I took my newly acquired '66 Dream 305 out for a ride on the weekend and after about 10 minutes into it the throttle just died. It sounded just as if I had let go of the throttle. The engine remained idling but twisting the throttle did nothing. I thought maybe the throttle cable snapped but after removing it tonight it looks intact. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this symptom?

I have two pics here to show what the carb end of the cable looks like (the throttle slider end seems fine to me). The end of the cable seems to fit into the groove of the sleeve as it is supposed to. My guess is that the spring popped? The sleeve looks ok but I really have no experience with this and don't really know what I'm looking at/for.

I can't start the engine any more because twisting the throttle does nothing. I even tried starting it after I disconnected the cable from the throttle slider end and pulled (gently) with pliers to simulate a throttle twist.

I could hear something moving in the carb as I pulled the cable - it sounded pretty normal to me? Any ideas on where to start? I'm thinking I have to pull the carb off to see what's down inside the top where the cable and sleeve came out?

photo1 by styxjr, on Flickr

photo2 by styxjr, on Flickr

Cheburashka
honda305.com Member

Post by Cheburashka » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:47 pm

Sounds like you haven't had it off the bike. It's possible that you have a plugged main jet and the engine is just running at idle, although that seems like a longshot since hitting the throttle would still increase the air flow.

At the very least, you should pull the float bowl and see what kind of rusty goodness is floating around in there. Clean it up, blow out the accessible jets, and you may solve the problem.

These carbs are very easy to pull, and pretty easy to clean out.

styxjr
honda305.com Member

Post by styxjr » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:02 pm

Thanks Cheburashka,

I will pull the carb tomorrow (you're right, I haven't had it off yet) to see what I can find.

Might be a longshot but a plugged jet might explain why using pliers to pull the cable didn't have any effect either? Dunno, but I'll find out soon enough.

I'll post my results here. Thanks for the help! Cheers!

brewsky
honda305.com Member

Post by brewsky » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:17 am

Maybe it's the photo, but that slide and needle look short to me.

If you will measure the length of each and report they can be compared with stock dimensions.
66 dream, 78 cb750k, 02fz1, 09 wing

FluteTears
honda305.com Member

Post by FluteTears » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:17 am

Id like to add that when you put the carb back on do not over torque the two mounting bolts. this can cause you problems with the slide not sliding. Yes I have done this to my bike LOL.
1974 CT90
1964 CA77

styxjr
honda305.com Member

Post by styxjr » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:16 am

Thanks brewsky, I will measure them and post.

FluteTears - LOL, thanks for the advice, I'll make sure not to over-torque then.

pknopp
honda305.com Member

Post by pknopp » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:55 am

Just maybe stating the obvious..... So when you hold the top of the carb still and turn the throttle the spring compresses?

If a passage is plugged it often times won't start. IMO the best way to clean a carb is in an ultra sonic. I rarely suggest people buy cheap tools but the cheap ultra sonics work pretty well for things like cleaning carbs and parts.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home