honda305.com Forum

Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

'67 Hawk Elctrical Gremlins, i.e. what am I looking at here?

Charging System, Wiring, Lighting
dagersh
honda305.com Member

'67 Hawk Elctrical Gremlins, i.e. what am I looking at here?

Post by dagersh » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:52 pm

Hi All,

Having some electric gremlins that I am trying to sort out on my Hawk.

She came to me with some PO hacked mods that I need to figure out.

To start, I am trying to use a Shorai battery.

She had her Silenium Rectifier which I have replaced with a unit from Oregon Motorcycle Parts. Looking at the original rectifier, it had a lot of melted black gook, which I am assuming was the insulating material.
The bike ran well, but the battery was not charging, hence the replacement. No problems with installing the new rectifier, good grounds, and now the battery maintains a charge after riding. I left it an hour or so after riding with the headlights and taillight on, and the multimeter showed the battery at 12.8 Amps.
The problem is that my starter will not work with the battery. If I use a “battery” type starter, the starter work great, but not with the Shorai.
So let’s look at what is installed on the bike and see if you can make sense of what they are for.
In the Headlight Bucket, there is a push button switch drilled into the lower side of the bucket:

The switch is acting as a breaker on the Red wire, which controls the Main (High) Beam of the Headlight. Here are the connections:

If I put the switch into the Dimmer (low) position, the engine cuts out. This happens whether the headlight is switched on or off by the hacked in switch. I am assuming the PO was looking for an ignition kill switch, but I am not sure what he was trying to accomplish…
I was thinking if I just bypassed this switch, it would stop shutting the bike down, but since it occurs in both positions of the switch, I am not sure that is the case…
Also, there is what looks to be a combo Voltage Regulator/Rectifier already on the bike, but I am not sure. Can anyone ID this?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. The bike runs great, but I would love to have my electric leg back!

Gersh

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: '67 Hawk Elctrical Gremlins, i.e. what am I looking at h

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:42 pm

dagersh wrote:Hi All,

Having some electric gremlins that I am trying to sort out on my Hawk.

She came to me with some PO hacked mods that I need to figure out.

All those modifications and you think there is a simple answer/cure for this bike.
There may be but I'll wish you good luck until you can get it back to where we can relate to how HONDA built the bike.
Looks like Flash Gordon's Garage wiring to me. ...................lm

To start, I am trying to use a Shorai battery.

She had her Silenium Rectifier which I have replaced with a unit from Oregon Motorcycle Parts. Looking at the original rectifier, it had a lot of melted black gook, which I am assuming was the insulating material.
The bike ran well, but the battery was not charging, hence the replacement. No problems with installing the new rectifier, good grounds, and now the battery maintains a charge after riding. I left it an hour or so after riding with the headlights and taillight on, and the multimeter showed the battery at 12.8 Amps.
The problem is that my starter will not work with the battery. If I use a “battery” type starter, the starter work great, but not with the Shorai.
So let’s look at what is installed on the bike and see if you can make sense of what they are for.
In the Headlight Bucket, there is a push button switch drilled into the lower side of the bucket:

dagersh
honda305.com Member

Post by dagersh » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:01 pm

I agree LM.

The bucket is not as bad as it looks, aside from that weird switch.

Have you ever heard of this kind of modification in order to gain a kill switch? For Vintage Racing, maybe?

Gersh

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:08 pm

To tell the truth I only work/fix bikes with the HONDA wiring as HONDA built as I know it works if you have all the parts on the bike that are correct.
I've been able to correct faults (bad parts) because I can test the circuits as designed.
May I suggest you make the harness wires back to the HONDA design and go from there. ............lm
dagersh wrote:I agree LM.

The bucket is not as bad as it looks, aside from that weird switch.

Have you ever heard of this kind of modification in order to gain a kill switch? For Vintage Racing, maybe?

Gersh

dagersh
honda305.com Member

Post by dagersh » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:19 pm

LM

Sage advice....

I have a wiring harness for the bike, but it is from Apex (I think?). I have not done the research on Apex Harnesses, but I have seen some not so favorable opinions on them. Might be better than what I am working with though...

Gersh

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:30 pm

If you think you can't get the HONDA harness to work (with repairs) then I'd think the APEX can be made to work. ..........lm
dagersh wrote:LM

Sage advice....

I have a wiring harness for the bike, but it is from Apex (I think?). I have not done the research on Apex Harnesses, but I have seen some not so favorable opinions on them. Might be better than what I am working with though...

Gersh

dagersh
honda305.com Member

Post by dagersh » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:50 pm

Thanks Man!

Not the place for it - but any quick link on how to align the Kick Starter, i.e the dot's and "o's" on the gears?

Suffering from a limp K/S arm and Viagara ain't helping! :)

Gersh

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home