Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

oil leak

Dan Atsma
honda305.com Member

oil leak

Post by Dan Atsma » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:12 pm

Any thoughts? Scrambler is leaking oil out the right side of the case, a lot of oil. The oil level is correct (it was down), took the side cover off cleaned everything up and rode it 1/2 mile no leak, ran it two miles at 55 and it spewed again. is there a vent that could be plugged and causing it to overheat?
I'm confused!
Toad
65 CL77 305 Scrambler, 75 CB750K Cafe, 75 CB750F

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: oil leak

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:53 pm

Check the top vent tube and make sure it is open. ..........lm
Dan Atsma wrote:Any thoughts? Scrambler is leaking oil out the right side of the case, a lot of oil. The oil level is correct (it was down), took the side cover off cleaned everything up and rode it 1/2 mile no leak, ran it two miles at 55 and it spewed again. is there a vent that could be plugged and causing it to overheat?
I'm confused!

Dan Atsma
honda305.com Member

Post by Dan Atsma » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:11 pm

LOUD MOUSE wrote:Check the top vent tube and make sure it is open. ..........lm
Dan Atsma wrote:Any thoughts? Scrambler is leaking oil out the right side of the case, a lot of oil. The oil level is correct (it was down), took the side cover off cleaned everything up and rode it 1/2 mile no leak, ran it two miles at 55 and it spewed again. is there a vent that could be plugged and causing it to overheat?
I'm confused!
If I'm looking at it correctly, that's where I was thinking the oil was coming from, that dumps into the side cover through a rubber line. Am I looking at that correctly?
Toad

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:05 pm

Yes.
Have you taken the top cover off the engine?. .........lm
Dan Atsma wrote:
I'm confused!
If I'm looking at it correctly, that's where I was thinking the oil was coming from, that dumps into the side cover through a rubber line. Am I looking at that correctly?

Dan Atsma
honda305.com Member

Post by Dan Atsma » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:09 pm

confirmed the oil is coming out of the top vent tube, I have not had the top cover off. It seems to be leaking around the cover also.
LOUD MOUSE wrote:Yes.
Dan Atsma wrote:
I'm confused!
Toad

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:12 pm

More often than not we find the gaskets under the top cover have the small holes which are supposed to be in the front have been put to the rear. .............lm
Dan Atsma wrote:confirmed the oil is coming out of the top vent tube, I have not had the top cover off. It seems to be leaking around the cover also.
Dan Atsma wrote:
I'm confused!

Dan Atsma
honda305.com Member

Post by Dan Atsma » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:43 pm

maybe the former owner did, would that slowy get worse? it happened a couple of time after hard use and now its steady. thanks for your help!
LOUD MOUSE wrote:More often than not we find the gaskets under the top cover have the small holes which are supposed to be in the front have been put to the rear. .............lm
Dan Atsma wrote:confirmed the oil is coming out of the top vent tube, I have not had the top cover off. It seems to be leaking around the cover also.
Dan Atsma wrote:
I'm confused!
Toad

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home