Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

none.please delete it

Points Based Ignition | Electronic Ignition Upgrade
lix
honda305.com Member

Post by lix » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:32 am

Has anyone tried the charliesplace ignition?

cknight
honda305.com Member

Post by cknight » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:42 pm

Tango911 wrote:i like the site, and the electronic ignitions are WAY more reasonable. i will prob get one once i hear from someone that has one.

steve
Check the footnote on Charlie's site, and you'll need a regulated charging system for this ignition. Charlie gets $125.00 for the regulator/rectifier, which then gets the price up to $315.00. I'm sure there are some less expensive units out there, however. Regards, Chase

Tango911
honda305.com Member

Post by Tango911 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:06 pm

Just ordered the whole shabam. i shall report back in a week or so after i receive and install the item. The Charlies place ignition does not have the cdi box. we'll see how it goes.

steve

raindriver
honda305.com Member

Post by raindriver » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:26 pm

Tango, we're eagerly waiting to hear how it went.

I've used Charlies and found them to be first-class. Unlike the OP on this thread, who seems to have withdrawn when pressed for the least detail. Wonder what that was all about?

So, let's hijack his thread and make it a post on the Charlie's version.

Hope it works great for you! (Coz I wanna do it too, if it works...)

Jlovvorn
honda305.com Member

Post by Jlovvorn » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:16 pm

Any reports on the CP ignition install or performance?

I am trying to rule out every variable with a timing problem, and may give it a shot since I already have the CP rectifier/regulator installed and love it.

aerojack7654
honda305.com Member

Post by aerojack7654 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:37 pm

Hey guys,
I put a Charlies Place electronic ignition on my Dream, and it works great with the new coil.b The stability and power of the spark is immediately noticeable, the idle is nice and stable. So all in all, a great improvement over the finicky points. The only downside to Charlies ignition is that the directions are not very good - he states that the installation is for "professional mechanics only". The installation is really not hard, his instructions are a little obtuse, so I called and talked to him (Charlie). After first chiding me for not being a "professional", I described that I'm not a dummy and he calmed down and cleared up his description. A picture and a diagram (his directions have neither) would be worth a thousand words and would allow him to remove the "professional" label, which I think is kinda silly, since most of the people that will be interested are likely going to want to do this themselves. If somebody needs a hand, I've thought about taking a picture or two and making up a drawing to make the installation a little more straightforward than his directions make it seem.
That being said, the thing did wonders for my Dream

BTW, I'm using a $22.50 Oregon Motorcycle Parts rectifier (works just fine w/ Charlies ignition), and an Emgo aftermarket coil

Regards,
Jack
Attachments
Dream ignition.JPG

Jlovvorn
honda305.com Member

Post by Jlovvorn » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:51 pm

Thanks so much for posting this. I am about to put a Charlie's ignition on my 160 and this is good to hear.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home