Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1966 Honda Dream Barn Find, or, I Must Be Crazy

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
Solomoriah
honda305.com Member

Post by Solomoriah » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:22 pm

Spent some time on it tonight. Forgot to even check if the engine was free yet or not; probably not, considering how things have been going. I probably need to put more pink stuff in there.

First thing I did was put the back wheel back on and let the front end back down. This went really well, actually. I think the rubber dampers are entirely serviceable; I'm not as sure about the condition of the brake shoes, as I don't really know how thick they are supposed to be. I'll post a photo later.

With that done, I messed with the broken steering damper some more. I'm getting close to saying the heck with it and buying a whole new steering stem. Or paying someone to get it out. It's exasperating. I haven't yet tried the hot-and-cold treatment, as I don't have an "air duster" can handy. Tonight I used a punch to apply some force to it, then tried heat, then finally another blast of PB, trying the easy-out after each application.

I didn't like applying heat to that part of the bike with the handlebars still on, as there are wires in there that might be damaged. So, having failed again, I decided to remove the handlebars completely. I pulled the headlight so I could unhook the wires, and found mud dauber nests filling the free space inside. Got them out, then unplugged the high beam and horn wires and removed the bars.

Well, I tried. The throttle cable was stuck pretty firmly. More mud dauber nests, filling the handlebars. The cable sheath was in real nasty shape, so I just went ahead and cut it off, then worked it out while comfortably seated.

Then I tried to remove the wires. Same problem, but they aren't as tough as the throttle cable, so I couldn't just yank them out.

Exasperated, I filled a pan with water and put the bars down in it. I'm hoping the mud dauber nests will turn back into mud and come out easily. But nothing that has resisted me up to this point has given up easily.

I have also decided that I'll need to replace much of the wiring harness. It's been patched and scabbed too much. What parts I need to keep, I'll fit with bullets so I can cut away the bad parts.

Solomoriah
honda305.com Member

Post by Solomoriah » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:01 pm

Worked on the bike some more tonight. Yes, the pistons are still stuck, and yes, the broken-off stub of the steering damper knob is still in there. My whole chill-and-heat approach didn’t work, at least not on this problem child.

But, at least I got the wiring out of the handlebars. Twenty-four hours soaking in water did indeed turn the mud dauber nests back into mud, and I was able to work the wires out. I haven’t decided how to proceed with rebuilding them, but I have several options available.

There was still quite a bit of crud in the handlebars, though, so I got a length of very thin wire rope I had lying around from the replacement of our garage doors and affixed some coarse steel wool to one end. Then, I fished the wire through the bars, forcing it through the muck, and by pulling the steel wool through repeatedly I got it pretty clean inside. All the wet bits are drying now.

I got a bike lift using a Harbour Freight coupon, and I got it assembled right on the third try. Hey, the instructions could have been a lot clearer! I plan to use it to remove the engine, when I get that far (probably soon).

I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m going to need the help of someone who knows a lot more about engines than I do. Tonight I dropped in on a local guy who was recommended to me; he isn’t willing to take on a project right now, but he gave me a recommendation for another guy. So, if I can make contact with the second fellow, I may be able to get some expert assistance at removing some of the roadblocks in this project.

sarals
honda305.com Member

Post by sarals » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:47 am

Wow, you've got a tough one in that bike! I love your persistence, though. As people yell at me in bicycle races (as they pass me...) "Way to hang tough, keep going"!
1965 CB77 305 Super Hawk
1989 NT650 Hawk GT
1981 Yamaha XJ550 Seca

Solomoriah
honda305.com Member

Post by Solomoriah » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:12 am

I'm thinking strongly that, if I can't get the stub out any other way, the whole steering stem is coming off and going to see a proper machinist.

As for the pistons, I really think I'm going to have to involve some outside assistance.

brcree
honda305.com Member

new project...

Post by brcree » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:29 am

WOW....what an ordeal.......your bike sounds much like the one I found a year ago. My eng. was stuck as-well and took awhile to unstick. After soaking the piston wells for a week ....I started with a large ratchet and breaker bar, with eng. still in the frame.......tried to move the eng crank a fraction at a time. It finally gave up and moved. Upon taking the head off I found that the rings were stuck to the pistons and were no good. good luck on your project...it will be worth it when you are breezen down the road on it!
In God we trust!.....Nothing like some breeze on the knees!

Solomoriah
honda305.com Member

Post by Solomoriah » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:15 pm

Wow. Thanks!

You applied a breaker bar to the left end of the crank, correct? I haven't pulled that side off yet.

What were you soaking the pistons with?

brcree
honda305.com Member

project..........

Post by brcree » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:03 am

Yes...as you sit on the bike it's the rite side (Stater side). I used allot of PB Blaster.....and Trans fluid. Don't do a big yank on the breaker bar.....short tugs....both ways until it gives up. You will have to redo the heads anyway. The pistons in your case are probably shot, as are the rings. Good luck man, if I can help in any way feel free to ask.....there are NO dumb questions...just the one you don't ask.
In God we trust!.....Nothing like some breeze on the knees!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home