Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

305 piston pin wabble

CFL
honda305.com Member

305 piston pin wabble

Post by CFL » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:40 am

How much play can I have between the small end of the connceting rod and the piston pin? I have no way of putting in an overside pistion pin. I have heard that there shouldn't be any play. Please advsie, CFL

Tim Miller
honda305.com Member

Re: 305 piston pin wabble

Post by Tim Miller » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:00 am

For me : .0004" to .0007" if anymore then I would go with the oversize wrist pin or just replace the rods.

Tim

CFL wrote:How much play can I have between the small end of the connceting rod and the piston pin? I have no way of putting in an overside pistion pin. I have heard that there shouldn't be any play. Please advsie, CFL

raindriver
honda305.com Member

Post by raindriver » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:04 pm

An old Clymer manual I have says service limit for wrist pins is 0.588 mm. Half a milli-mumble is nigh on to nothin'...if you feel lateral movement in that pin, it needs attention.

My personal experience is, any slop here and your piston will eventually cause damage of the 'oh-oh, time for a rebuild' kind. Like Tim says, probably easiest to replace the con rod. Good luck!

conbs
honda305.com Member

Replacing con rod

Post by conbs » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:23 pm

Replacing the rods on a 305 is fairly involved. There are no splines on the pieces of the crank. The 4 spots where they go together are round and pressure fit together. Re-alignment in re-assembly to make a crank that runs true is fairly involved. Unless you are an extremely adventurous sort, you will probably have to send the crank out for a professional rebuild. It will be expensive.

Another avenue is to get a used crank that is in good shape. I have gotten a couple off of ebay that seem to be alright, but I have not run any of them yet. Though there are exceptions, many 305 bikes didn't see a lot of miles and the cranks are pretty stout. Watch for rust and make sure they are "in spec" before installing. There is a risk that you will end up with a boat anchor, but if the price is right, the risk may be worth it. I was patient in buying and found them pretty cheap and I believe will work fine.

You could try an oversized wrist pin, but many people are suspicious of the idea that the bushing will still be true after using a hand reamer in the small end. I have never tried it, but it would seem to me that with a little finesse a guy could get the job done since not much material is being removed. It is clear Honda thought it could be done or they wouldn't have made oversized wrist pins. Maybe your local machine shop would help out.

They are not great options, but there they are. Make sure that you are checking your rods properly. Search this site. There are several posts that describe what to look for.

Hope this helps.

raindriver
honda305.com Member

Post by raindriver » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:28 am

Yoinks, I hadn't thought about how the bottom-end goes together. Interestingly, the Clymer book does not talk about how one removes the con rods, or gets at those two inner bearings on the crank. It does not talk about splitting the crank. It does mention replacing wrist pins with oversize.

Turning back to the top end, the book does suggest one possible option for you. It says the hole size for the piston pin in the piston should be max 15.05 mm (0.5925"), and the min pin diameter should be 14.95 mm (0.5856").

So, maybe you can tighten things up by replacing the piston with one that has a smaller (not worn larger) hole? It does seem possible that the softer alloy of the piston wore out first. Maybe worth a check.

(I think I just convinced myself to spring for Mr. Silver's book, this old Clymer is just not complete.)

jensey
honda305.com Member

Post by jensey » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:36 am

Hi,

The piston isnt part of a bearing, the small end and pin are. Therefore the piston pin hole in the piston will be in spec mostly, if the piston pin rotated in the piston your small end is toasted for sure

Jensen

dave305
honda305.com Member

Post by dave305 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:54 am

I hand reamed my rods with a 5 flute spiral expanding reamer 19/32 [they are kind of expensive 60-70 dollars] did a nice job almost made the holes round again. I can still hear pin noise with a steady speed with no load. Some day if i get energetic i will find a better crank to use. If your small ends are not wore to much it could work for you, you will also need to have your pistons reamed oversize. It's not a lot of work to only pull the top off so you could give it a try. I would just bite the bullet and do it right the first time, you only have to do it once then unless you have lots of time and enjoy working on engines.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home