Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

How to.... win the battle on Philips head screws

conbs
honda305.com Member

JIS size

Post by conbs » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:23 pm

Jensen, is the JIS tip size #2 for case screws?

jensen
honda305.com Member

Post by jensen » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:22 am

Hi,

This screwdriver also works on really butchered screw too, see the attached pictures

I cleaned the screw before using the screwdriver, lot's of dirt in in too.

Unfortunately, this screw is lost (beyond repair). It's a very long one, and has a special length (CB72 Oil filter cap screw).

btw, I never clean an engine before disassembling with a high pressure cleaner, you will be surprised where the water comes (did it once, but never again).

Jensen
Attachments
3. it's really that bad and I was still able to get it out.jpg
2. after the battle.jpg
1. before the battle.jpg
assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)

brewsky
honda305.com Member

Post by brewsky » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:24 am

Other options with same principle:

T-handle screwdriver (JIS) dipped in Valve grinding compound for bite
http://www.permatex.com/products/automo ... mpound.htm

or....OEM tool kit screwdriver with vice grips clamped on, dipped in the same
66 dream, 78 cb750k, 02fz1, 09 wing

jensen
honda305.com Member

Post by jensen » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:50 am

Hi Brewsky,

Yes, the valve grinding paste has the same effect as the diamond coating on these screwdrivers. There is however a difference, the valve grinding paste is not physical attached to one of the surfaces, the diamond coating is.

Before I used these diamond coated screwdrivers I used this method, it works, but these screwdrivers are instant ready for use, and that's what I like about them.

Personally I never liked T-handle, the "push"area is much smaller then on the screwdriver. I have tried the kit screwdrivers, and there are good because of the JIS shape , but wear out very quickly.

Thanks for your addition, after all, it 's a matter of taste, what kind of tool you like to work with, and what kind of method you use,

Jensen
Attachments
2. Clear to see that Honda assambled these drry.jpg
1. these screwes are all saved.jpg

brewsky
honda305.com Member

Post by brewsky » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:40 am

Jensen,

I would probably prefer the diamond coated over the paste, it's just a habit I acquired a long time ago. The paste IS a messy alternative, since you have to clean it up well.

Couple of questions on the Kraftform drivers.......

Does the coating eventually wear off?

I also noticed they have other tip options such as "laser" cut and "black point", are you familiar with either of those?

Also, I can only find the diamond coating on the bits themselves and not in the drivers as you show? Maybe the driver option has been discontinued?

And lastly, are they true JIS shape? I can't seem to find any reference to that on their website.

jensen
honda305.com Member

Post by jensen » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:12 am

Hi Brewsky,
Does the coating eventually wear off?
Yes, it does, it's a coating and doesn't have eternal live, it wears. I used the nr. 3 heavily about 2 years, and it won't do another 2 years. I guess you can use it on 1000 difficult screws or so, but it's wild guess.
I also noticed they have other tip options such as "laser" cut and "black point", are you familiar with either of those?
I'm sorry, no.
Also, I can only find the diamond coating on the bits themselves and not in the drivers as you show? Maybe the driver option has been discontinued?
Don't know, I bought these two years ago, and bought them again two months ago as a gift for a good friend in the US, no problem in ordering.
And lastly, are they true JIS shape? I can't seem to find any reference to that on their website.
No, just like the title says, Philips. I never said it were JIS drivers. In general, the differences between JIS and Philips are not that big. Look at drawings between both, and you'll see that the only differences are the rounded curves in Philips and the straight edges in JIS.

In my experience when you use the screw once or twice, the JIS will have the same shape as Philips if you know what I mean.

look here : http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle- ... ewdrivers/

and for those who want instant result, see picture, Left is Philips and right is JIS,

Jensen
Attachments
jis-phillips-screwdriver-differences.jpg

brewsky
honda305.com Member

Post by brewsky » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:31 am

Thanks for the reply, Jensen.

I was under the impression there were more differences than just the rounding.

See here:
http://www.instructables.com/id/When-a- ... -Standard/

I do know that NO screwdriver I have used, even those claiming to be JIS, feel like as perfect a fit as the OEM from the toolkit.

The Motion Pro T handles feel pretty close though, and are supposed to be JIS.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home