honda305.com Forum

Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CA77 Dream fuel line from petcock to carb...

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
rzgkane
honda305.com Member

CA77 Dream fuel line from petcock to carb...

Post by rzgkane » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:03 am

Below are pics of the setup the prior owner installed on my CA77 Dream. Aside from the filter being installed backward (fuel flowing the wrong way) and the fuel lines being ancient and hard as a rock, the thing leaked and left a big puddle of gas on the floor of the garage today.

Can someone please post a pic of how the fuel lines are supposed to be configured between the petcock and the carb? It's a pretty funky angle for sure and the clear line I am using would probably kink if I ran it in a straight run.

IMG_4835 by rzgkane, on Flickr

IMG_4834 by rzgkane, on Flickr

IMG_4833 by rzgkane, on Flickr

brewsky
honda305.com Member

Post by brewsky » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:55 pm

Not stock, but my solution so far:

Got tired of the aftermarket fuel filter interfering with the flow, so I replaced it with a small engine on/off valve to cure the ever recurring slow petcock leak.

All different fuel lines I tried kinked when they were bent into place unless a long loop was left in the line. So I tried inserting a pre-bent 1/4"OD metal brake line inside the blue tint 1/4" ID fuel line and voila!

Now to pre-bend more of a U shape to shrink the loop some more.

A tubing bender is highly recommended.
Attachments
DSC00815.JPG
DSC00816.JPG
DSC00817.JPG
66 dream, 78 cb750k, 02fz1, 09 wing

rzgkane
honda305.com Member

Post by rzgkane » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:01 pm

I like it. Thanks for posting. But how does that valve, post-petcock, cure the petcock leak?
brewsky wrote:Not stock, but my solution so far:

Got tired of the aftermarket fuel filter interfering with the flow, so I replaced it with a small engine on/off valve to cure the ever recurring slow petcock leak.

All different fuel lines I tried kinked when they were bent into place unless a long loop was left in the line. So I tried inserting a pre-bent 1/4"OD metal brake line inside the blue tint 1/4" ID fuel line and voila!

brewsky
honda305.com Member

Post by brewsky » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:55 am

I've rebuilt the petcock 2 or 3 times, using both the cork and rubber type gaskets, but every time I eventually get a slow drip thru the petcock when it is turned off. (It doesn't leak to the outside). It eventually overfills the bowl after sitting for some time, getting by the float valve and leaking out of the carb.

I think the cause is a slight bit of corrosion on the sliding lever around the holes. I cleaned it up and buffed it, but some small pitting remained.

rzgkane
honda305.com Member

Post by rzgkane » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:37 am

brewsky wrote:I've rebuilt the petcock 2 or 3 times, using both the cork and rubber type gaskets, but every time I eventually get a slow drip thru the petcock when it is turned off. (It doesn't leak to the outside). It eventually overfills the bowl after sitting for some time, getting by the float valve and leaking out of the carb.

I think the cause is a slight bit of corrosion on the sliding lever around the holes. I cleaned it up and buffed it, but some small pitting remained.
In that instance, where does the fuel exit the carb?

brewsky
honda305.com Member

Post by brewsky » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:33 am

The brass overflow tube.

rzgkane
honda305.com Member

Post by rzgkane » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:25 pm

brewsky wrote:Not stock, but my solution so far:

I bought some Motion Pro 1/4" clear fuel line and it's actually pretty good at not kinking when wound tight. I can wrap the line around my little finger and it shows no sign of collapse. I'm gonna give it a go tonight and see what I get.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home