Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

I spy

davomoto
honda305.com Member

I spy

Post by davomoto » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:22 pm

Been a while since we've done this, and I just found a good candidate! Lets figure out what not right with this CL77.

Davo

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-CL ... 33734afc06

rustywrench
honda305.com Member

Post by rustywrench » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:43 pm

At first all I saw was a few little things like improperly routed cables, front shock boot clamps. exhaust pipes cut at angle (personal preference). Then it hit me like a ten pound sledge. Front seat mount is not the right one for a model that late. I don't have a reference for the vin but it seems out of place as well as the seemed tank . Just for starters,,,,,,,Rusty

Kirk
honda305.com Member

Post by Kirk » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:50 am

First off I am not a scrambler guy, but I have a 1967 cL77 project I have yet to start. So here are my guesses.
1. Taillight as my 67 has the big oval.
2. The seat mount thing is also interesting
3. Front fender is odd to me and late model fenders would be chrome???
4. The side stand looks odd
5. The solid chain guard would indicate after 65?
6. I could swear it has a small brake in the front
These are my guesses, but I do not know if any our correct for sure.
Thanks,
Kirk
2-1966 CB77 Projects
1965 CB77 Partsbike
1967 scrambler pile of parts
1972 Cb350

mike in idaho
honda305.com Member

Post by mike in idaho » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:32 am

The seller doesn't actually say it's a '68, but the title is misleading at best. I remember uncrating several new,last production run, examples back in early '68 and they all had chrome fenders and black frames. Looks like a fairly complete older bike with a late model tank and footpeg bar installed. Original paint on the headlight bucket and fork ears doesn't match the new paint on the rest of it. You would think for $3000 you could at least get a new,unfaded wire harness, and matching paint.

Snakeoil
honda305.com Member

Post by Snakeoil » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:16 am

I agree with some of the items called out by others.

Based upon the 102 serial number here is what I thought might be wrong. But then I pulled the parts book and checked a few things have added comment below.

Tank with seam is wrong. Should be smooth - Seamed tank started at sn 104
Wrong tank emblems - obvious
Painted black plate in place of cam end cover (why black? why not silver? geesh!)
Rubber rider pegs - Rubber pegs started at sn 103
Seat latch might be right for 102 SN. Maybe LM or others can confirm. - Seat latch and rider pegs both changed at sn103.
Front brake and fork are correct for a later model. But I think that the front seat mount should indicate small front brake and steel sliders. - I was wrong. Alum slider and TLS brake started at sn 101. So correct for this bikes sn.
Latch button on toolbox should not be black.
Metal spark plug covers are missing.
Painted fenders are correct.
Aftermarket levers
Helmet tab on wrong side.
Shouldn't the centerstand match the color of the frame?

So my guess here is the bike was crashed at one point damaging the pegs and tank and either got later model spares from the dealer or somebody got used parts when they brought the bike back to life and replaced the originals. He said he has the original tank emblems so the tank might have been replaced before he got it.

regards,
Rob

mike in idaho
honda305.com Member

Post by mike in idaho » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:04 pm

Snakeoil wrote: Metal spark plug covers are missing.
[/Wquote]
We used to pry them off and toss them in the trash back then(they tended to shock the pi$$ out of you when they were wet), who knew they would so valuable 40 plus years later.

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:56 pm

Yeah, the biggest thing that caught my eye was the seat mount! Tailight, pegs, tank all look 67 issue. Methinks it's a bitsa bike.

Davo

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home