Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Need arguments for not quitting....

Jlovvorn
honda305.com Member

Post by Jlovvorn » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:51 pm

21 degrees here today.

When it gets above 40, I am gonna hop on and see what she can do.

Discovered today that some lunatic PO down the line somewhere took off or left off the front brake return spring, so I need to take the wheel off and install one before I take it up to speed.

Every day is another fix - cant ever get bored with this bike.

hishairisred
honda305.com Member

Post by hishairisred » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:10 am

You have got to earn your ride! I have had significant trouble over and over again with my superhawk, but now it is finally at a good state to where I can really enjoy the ride, cruising at 70, without thinking of its troubles.
you have to remember that these are basically one of hondas 1st mass produces machines, designed in the late 50's with flaws that they figured out for their next decade of machines, but these machines are worth keeping and enjoying, it will all be worth it, trust me, and it will sharpen your mechanical skills dramatically.
A year ago I had no idea about how to fix motorcycles, now i am buying and rebuilding a 305 engine and frame from davomoto to build a new racer. You CAN do it! we need more 305's on the road again.

Mike Mullins
honda305.com Member

re:

Post by Mike Mullins » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:13 pm

cant ever get bored with this bike

You will have it sorted sooner than you know. And you are right-even when you get it sorted, you won't ever get bored with this bike. Just bought another, the 5th one I've bought ( I still have 3 of them, 1 sorted rider and 2 projects: I gave 2 parts bikes to a friend who has a project bike. Basement was full, wife was concerned for my mental well being.) You will never be bored, even when you have it "done"-if there is such a state.
Mikeyrx
PS. My mental well being is helped immensely by having a basement full of Super Hawks.
I am concerned for her mental well being.
"a free motorcycle is a bottomless hole intended solely for money"
66 CB 77
76 BMW R75/6
99 GL 1500 trike
75 & 79 XS 650's

Jlovvorn
honda305.com Member

Post by Jlovvorn » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:04 pm

Just took it out for a good hour and it is running awesome.

Need to sort out the lean problem, but thanks again everyone for all the encouragement.

When I got it up to 60 for the first time today, all the work suddenly was worth it.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home