Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Next problem

Points Based Ignition | Electronic Ignition Upgrade
bonsaibill
honda305.com Member

Next problem

Post by bonsaibill » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:22 pm

Can someone take a look at this picture and tell me if they see a problem with my new points set-up. I don't seem to have any fire.
Attachments
points.jpg

hishairisred
honda305.com Member

Post by hishairisred » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:56 am

Hey bill,
Check that the points close precisely when the indicator line lines up with the f mark on the crankshaft for the compression stroke (feels harder to turn) also make sure that when you line up the f mark, turn clockwise and stop, dont turn it counterclockwise. Then when the crankshaft is rotated 360 degrees the gap on the points should be .014" so use a feeler gauge and adjust the gap distance by loosening the top screw slightly and adjusting the gap with the screw just to the lower left of it. go back and forth and double check those things, then losent the 2 mounting plate screws slightly and use a timing light to set the advance by rotating the plate.
though first of all, is there any spark? if there is and its not firing, it could be that it is firing at the exhaust stroke and not igniting any gasoline under compression.
I would get the electronic ignition, saves you so much hassle from having to adjust those points.

ironangel
honda305.com Member

Post by ironangel » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:27 am

a little hard to tell in the picture but it looks like the fiber washer is way off center which will allow the small bolt holding the wire terminal to touch the mounting plate and cause to to short to ground. you might also want to check that the wire terminal is not touching the plate on the back side. Haven't had mine apart for some time but If I not mistaken the fiber washer should have a small collar to insulate bolt from mounting tang..jk

ironangel
honda305.com Member

Post by ironangel » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:43 am

meant to put this pic in above post, you can see that assy is more centered on the tang, altho it is possible that the hole in your tang is drilled lower on your tang..jk Also check the sticky above this post
Attachments
S3000001.JPG

bonsaibill
honda305.com Member

Post by bonsaibill » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:39 pm

Got it thanks

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home