Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Need arguments for not quitting....

Jlovvorn
honda305.com Member

Need arguments for not quitting....

Post by Jlovvorn » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:33 pm

Every problem I fix with this bike, I pick up two more.

My CB160 and CB350 were nothing like this.

Work to get them running, sure, but not a constant parade of new horribles..

Not sure I still see the value of torturing myself like this.

If no one has arguments for quitting, anyone in the Mid Atlantic in the market for a running 64 CB77? It's complete and original, but with a laundry list of issues.

Jlovvorn
honda305.com Member

Post by Jlovvorn » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:45 pm

yes, I am replying to my own post.

The bike is officially for sale.

Just got up the nerve to go back and fight with it, and found when I got to the garage that apparently there is now tons of oil leaking from the points cover - that's new.

I don't know what was done to this bike, but it wasn't pretty.

Have a ton of parts to go with it.

Asking price will follow.

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:26 am

Just forwarded your info to a friend of mine up in Sykesville, so I'll let you know if he's interested in talking to you more about your bike....

Jlovvorn
honda305.com Member

Post by Jlovvorn » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:29 am

Thanks. Here are the known issues:

Major oil leak from points
Minor leak from rt cover
Bogging down off the line (better above 20mph)
Rough idle
Very hard starting (takes 15 mins of kicking)
Blowing fuses when driven over 30mph (even 30 amp)
front brakes poor and pulse on stopping
Starter non-op
Gas tank leak (have replacement - needs finishing)

The PO told me the bike was 'all gone over' by his mechanic, which obviously was not correct.

Going to spend some time today starting over with Ed's tuning plan.

If I can get the bike to idle and run right, then maybe I can face the rest.

I don't get the hard starting and power loss. Compression is 130 on each side and I have fuel and spark, and have cleaned and tuned the carbs repeatedly.

At 45-50 degrees my cb160 takes a bit of kicking. This bike takes 15 min of kick.

Power loss is new, and only started after adjusting needles to synch (one was highest clip, the other lowest), replacing slow jets, and putting inline fuel filters in.

After tuning work, the idle was a bit better, but the power loss in first gear showed up. It's jerky, like one side is cutting out. Runs strong at a stop when revved. It only bogs under a load.

And the fuse thing is just odd. Sometimes it blows, sometimes not.

Based on reading here, I fear blown cam seal is because of oil in gas from poor rings.

If today is a failure, I will probably dump the bike and a lot of nice parts I have for it.

Jethro
honda305.com Member

Post by Jethro » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:03 pm

I'm sorry to hear you're having such troubles.
It sounds like the problems your having can be taken care of rather easily if you have the time and patience for it. Even the fuse blowing could be an easy fix (replace rectifier perhaps?).
If you want to work through each problem, people here would be more than happy to offer assistance. People on here even (including myself) are happy to chat over the phone (which speeds things along).
I wish I was around there to help you out.
All I have to say is it might be worth another shot. Also the cool thing about doing the work that needs to be done on your bike is that those things wouldn't need much attention for some time and you'd get to learn some cool stuff about it to keep it going.

Regards, Jethro

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:46 pm

The clip on needles should be on 2nd groove from the bottom. Are the needles OEM or aftermarket? Any numbers on them? What size and brand pilot jets?

Have you trimmed the ends of the spark plug wires?

The oil leak behind the points is an easy fix. Get a new seal, and gasket for the inner housing. Remove the points plate, remove the inner housing, and the seal is easy to pop in and out.

You have a short somewhere causing the fuse to blow. Probably a bare wire rubbing on ground.

Davo

Jlovvorn
honda305.com Member

Post by Jlovvorn » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:25 pm

Thanks everyone for the offers of help and the advice. It is much appreciated.

I decided to take some smart advice from Brewsky, and just took the entire day off from it.

I will get back on the horse after work Monday or Tues.

Ordered a replacement cam seal - think I can handle that.

Going to focus first on the carbs, points, and timing - starting over from scratch and working one issue at a time.

Then try a new rectifier and try and chase down the short blowing the fuses.

When I pull the carbs, I will report back on the needles and the jets numbers and clip placements.

I will post one at a time on the issues as I work through them (unless there is a forum category for 'newbie whining")

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home