Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Hub Rub

wesben
honda305.com Member

Hub Rub

Post by wesben » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:04 pm

I'm looking for advise on my CA77 front wheel assembly. I have it back together but the outer ring of the brake drum is rubbing against the hub. I have been looking at the diagram and I seem to be missing item #22 the felt ring. Can I make this or buy this item? Would it act as a spacer to keep my brake drum off the hub? Or is there another problem I may have missed?
Thanks
64 CA77, 82 CB750C, 69 Mustang, 79 Vette, looking for next project

jerrybb
honda305.com Member

Post by jerrybb » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:59 pm

I had the exact problem with my Dream when I finally got it together and running recently. The hub was grinding against the brake drum but I couldn't hear it when riding, only noticed it after playing with it doing a brake adjustment. I first thought a brake spring had broken but it was rubbing like yours. I think there is a dust cover missing from the inside of the bearing between the two, and I fixed mine by just putting a steel washer right on top of the bearing. The grease will hold it in place till you get the hub back on and the axle through it. Now there's clearance and it spins freely. Before I did that I couldn't cinch down the axle nut without it locking the wheel up tight. The P.O. had the axle nut loose so it was able to turn.

I used a washer with the correct inside i.d. and the outside is the same diameter as the bearing, and it's maybe 3/16 thick. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a felt washer, it originally had to be steel to give that solid spacing. Jerry

Snakeoil
honda305.com Member

Post by Snakeoil » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:19 pm

As a sidenote, felt washers in wheel hub applications were found to hold moisture and corrode axels and bearings. If I were rebuilding a wheel, I'd leave any felt washers out and replace with something that does not absorb and hold moisture.

regards,
Rob

wesben
honda305.com Member

Post by wesben » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:10 am

OK, thanks for the help guys. I'll fetch me a steel washer to go in there.
64 CA77, 82 CB750C, 69 Mustang, 79 Vette, looking for next project

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home