Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Engine starts without hitting ignition switch

Points Based Ignition | Electronic Ignition Upgrade
Kigsby
honda305.com Member

Post by Kigsby » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:26 am

I taped it up last night and I'll see if that works for now. I found my Dad's soldering gun, so I'll try that (after I practice a bit first). When I opened it up, the metal sleeve that covers the wire was hanging off (screw was loose). So when I put the wire back in, it looks like the backing that the wire is soldered to is supposed to slide into grooves along each side of the housing and then the metal sleeve gets screwed on top to cover it and hold it in place. Then the button with the spring sits outside that metal sleeve and makes contract to the wire through a small hole in the sleeve when the button is pushed. Correct? It wasn't on properly when I opened it so I can't tell how its supposed to go back together. Couldn't find any detailed pics in my manuals.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:32 am

I'd say ya have the idea.
No parts of the wire can be touching metal.
The button (with the spring) makes contact to the small metal part which the wire is attached and that supplies ground to the starter solenoid. .............lm

Kigsby wrote:I taped it up last night and I'll see if that works for now. I found my Dad's soldering gun, so I'll try that (after I practice a bit first). When I opened it up, the metal sleeve that covers the wire was hanging off (screw was loose). So when I put the wire back in, it looks like the backing that the wire is soldered to is supposed to slide into grooves along each side of the housing and then the metal sleeve gets screwed on top to cover it and hold it in place. Then the button with the spring sits outside that metal sleeve and makes contract to the wire through a small hole in the sleeve when the button is pushed. Correct? It wasn't on properly when I opened it so I can't tell how its supposed to go back together. Couldn't find any detailed pics in my manuals.

Kigsby
honda305.com Member

Post by Kigsby » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:43 am

Thank you! I will let you know how it goes!

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:45 am

Patience and steady hands works. ...........lm
Kigsby wrote:Thank you! I will let you know how it goes!

Kigsby
honda305.com Member

Post by Kigsby » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:16 am

And a beer or two.... :-)

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:21 am

Got ta love it!. ................lm

Kigsby wrote:And a beer or two.... :-)

Kigsby
honda305.com Member

Post by Kigsby » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:08 pm

OK....I soldered the starter button wire back on (yeah!) and it actually works! No more starting when I just turn the key on. You were right about that LM, the frayed wires must have been touching the inside of the handlebar. So I put my nice clean carb back on and tried to start her up. I'm having the same problem. It cranks but just doesn't start. There's a half a tank of gas, the air tube is connected nice and tight, I tried new plugs and again with my old plugs. There's a spark, but it's not blue, its white. I was trying to test the coil, but the reading is all over the place. How do you test if the coil is good? It goes from 0 to 4.5 to .01 to 11 to -2.79. Not sure what try next. I gave up this weekend and decided I'm just going to bring it to the mechanic, but I can't do that until the weekend so I have until Saturday to get it fixed or I have to admit to failure (I hate that). Any advise?

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home