Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1952 Honda Dream E restoration project

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
smithenhiven
honda305.com Member

Post by smithenhiven » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:43 pm

Thanks for the info Rob, after looking at some photos of DKW engines, you're right, the Honda Dream E engine does like to be based from that.

Snakeoil
honda305.com Member

Post by Snakeoil » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:58 pm

Is that engine OHV? I see the box on top of the head that looks like a valve cover. If so, then Honda upgraded the flathead design from DKW.

regards,
Rob

rrietman
honda305.com Member

Post by rrietman » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:10 pm

Here is a pic of a BSA Bantam I sold last year. one of the many post war bikes that used that DKW engine. similar to the dream E, but I think totally different inmany ways
Randy
Attachments
bantam 008.JPG

smithenhiven
honda305.com Member

Post by smithenhiven » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:42 pm

Snakeoil wrote:Is that engine OHV?
Yes, this is a OHV engine.

smithenhiven
honda305.com Member

Post by smithenhiven » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:07 pm

Christmas came a little late this year.

This is what the Japan Santa sent today.

New exhaust, used seat which desperately needs attention, but better than nothing, which is what I had; a used headlight assembly (mine didn't have the retaining ring, or the glass, now I just need a bulb); a horn; a key switch; a carb; a shifter arm; a new rear light retaining ring; and another speedo/odo unit (I don't need this, it just came with this little stash of parts, in fact when comparing it to the one on my bike, this would not work, it's too big, maybe this came off a 4E or later, or a SA/SB, ME/MF, or JC?)

Started some disassembly today, I was surprised at how easy everything came apart. I thought I would be fighting 60 years of rust, grime, and stuck bolts, but underneath the dust, this bike is surprisingly clean, and everything came apart with ease.

alan curtis
honda305.com Member

3e

Post by alan curtis » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:18 am

hi, i have one of these bikes also, could do with the rear light retaining ring and lense, did where you got this from have a supply of them, looking forward to the restoraion of your bike, as it might make me get on with mine, i really like the early honda's they are so different to what you see out there, but very expensive to get hold of. just picked up a few more early british bikes.
montgomery j.a.p 500cc 1935
ajs model 12, 1936
bsa m21 1939.
good luck with the project. alan

smithenhiven
honda305.com Member

Post by smithenhiven » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:40 am

Hi Alan,

I would be willing to part with my extra rear light retaining ring, but those are my only lenses, so I will have to keep ahold of those (however, I will see if there are any local places that can have reproductions made, and if I'm able, I'll try to have a set made for you). Perhaps if you have any "extra" parts, I could trade you the light ring for something? (even if what you have is of greater value, I'll pay the difference)

I got my parts from a collector in Japan. I have a friend in Japan who tracked him down, and was able to get him to sell me some parts. If you have a list of items that you need, please let me know what they are, and I can get my Japanese friend to ask him what he still has, and what his prices are.

I have (a copy of) the Dream E type parts list, with exploded view of all parts, if interested, I can try to make a scan of this to share if you don't already have it.

Best regards,
Jason.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home