Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CA77 Petcock question

ed1965dream
honda305.com Member

CA77 Petcock question

Post by ed1965dream » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:19 pm

My Dream came to me in boxes and the petcock was disassembled. In sorting thru the parts I believe I have everything to put it back together. I purchased a rebuild kit, but there's one area I'm not certain of. In the picture below, which I borrowed from a previous petcock question, is there a small stud the protrudes from the bottom of item #3 thru the center hole in the handle #2 and into center hole of the base of the petcock, item #0 to keep the handle centered and allow it to rotate freely to open/close the valve?

If not, what holds the handle #2 in place. I've figured out how the handle moves to open/close the valve, but I'm not sure of this single aspect of the petcock. Thanks
Attachments
petcock3.jpg

zoom
honda305.com Member

Post by zoom » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:31 pm

Yes. I am restoring a dream now. And that's what I am doing today. I got a kit from a vendor. There is a .3mmx14mm(measured from bare base of #3,16mm if you include bare base and that spring retainer thing). It keeps that fuel switch in place. Would take a pic but can't throw it to the web sight from my iPad.

Jay

conbs
honda305.com Member

Petcock screws

Post by conbs » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:50 pm

You will also need the 3 mounting screws for the petcock. They are JIS thread and you have to have the right screws (or tap a different thread into your tank. Never done it, but I think others have). Those screws have to be tightened enough to make sure everything seals and your petcock doesn't leak, but not too tight that your center plate binds.

Also that little round pin that sticks out of #3 and into the main body needs to move easily. Dress it with emory cloth or ?? to remove all corrosion. Also make sure all of the corrosion is out of the hole in the body. When I put mine first one together I also had to tap on the other side of that plate to make sure that the pin went all the way into the hole. After I did that I didn't have any more problems with leaking. I did all of this with the second and third ones and they went together with no issues and no leaks.
Last edited by conbs on Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

ed1965dream
honda305.com Member

Post by ed1965dream » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:55 pm

Thanks guys, that's just the info I need. I'll look to see if I have the correct screws. As for the pin, I'm probably going to need to make that. Funny that I don't see that part listed or shown in any of the schematics. It would be nice also if they included the pin with the rebuild kit.

conbs
honda305.com Member

pin

Post by conbs » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:09 pm

The pin is part of the fuel cock plate and is not a separate part. It is the pivot around which the fuel cock lever turns. You may be able to make one, but you would want to see how it attaches to the plate and undestand how it works for it to function when you are done. It might be worth the effort because the plates I have seen on ebay are pretty spendy.

ed1965dream
honda305.com Member

Post by ed1965dream » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:59 pm

I do have the X shaped part, but the small shaft in question is broken off. I found the part on ebay, but for near $40 I think I'll see if I can make a part first. Thanks for the additional info.

metrorollah
honda305.com Member

Post by metrorollah » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:10 pm

If you lose interest in that you can buy my petcock replacement kit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271028818242
ed1965dream wrote:I do have the X shaped part, but the small shaft in question is broken off. I found the part on ebay, but for near $40 I think I'll see if I can make a part first. Thanks for the additional info.
Attachments

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home