Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1st time building anything.

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
Johnny5
honda305.com Member

Post by Johnny5 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:54 pm

Now I'm having coil issues, I believe I need a new one, I hooked a car coil up instead to make sure the condenser was working right and I have spark, but when I hook the correct coil back up it only sparks once and a while and not very strong...SO now looking for a replacement coil.

bbap
honda305.com Member

Post by bbap » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:51 pm

I had a similar problem with spark on my Dream. It was running fine and after about a 5 mile run, it just quit. Checked points and cleaned them well but no difference. Pulled spark plugs and one had no spark and the other weak spark. On my coil, I can pull the wires and swap them out and the problem followed. I ordered a coil (cool looking chrome one) from JC Whitney and it came about two hours ago. Hooked up and spark on both sides and a running motorcycle a few minutes latter. I think it cost me about $44 delivered. Note there is a 15% off coupon on line that I found that payed for the shipping :)

Steve
Johnny5 wrote:Now I'm having coil issues, I believe I need a new one, I hooked a car coil up instead to make sure the condenser was working right and I have spark, but when I hook the correct coil back up it only sparks once and a while and not very strong...SO now looking for a replacement coil.
CA78 - 3111XX - Frame
CA77E - 3161XX - Engine

Johnny5
honda305.com Member

Post by Johnny5 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:19 pm

bbap wrote:I had a similar problem with spark on my Dream. It was running fine and after about a 5 mile run, it just quit. Checked points and cleaned them well but no difference. Pulled spark plugs and one had no spark and the other weak spark. On my coil, I can pull the wires and swap them out and the problem followed. I ordered a coil (cool looking chrome one) from JC Whitney and it came about two hours ago. Hooked up and spark on both sides and a running motorcycle a few minutes latter. I think it cost me about $44 delivered. Note there is a 15% off coupon on line that I found that payed for the shipping :)

Steve
Johnny5 wrote:Now I'm having coil issues, I believe I need a new one, I hooked a car coil up instead to make sure the condenser was working right and I have spark, but when I hook the correct coil back up it only sparks once and a while and not very strong...SO now looking for a replacement coil.

Awesomeeeee!! That sounds like a good plan and I suspect the coil because its it awful shape and is original to the bike...and I changed the condenser cause I had a brand new one just sitting around.

Johnny5
honda305.com Member

Post by Johnny5 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:24 pm

bbap wrote:I had a similar problem with spark on my Dream. It was running fine and after about a 5 mile run, it just quit. Checked points and cleaned them well but no difference. Pulled spark plugs and one had no spark and the other weak spark. On my coil, I can pull the wires and swap them out and the problem followed. I ordered a coil (cool looking chrome one) from JC Whitney and it came about two hours ago. Hooked up and spark on both sides and a running motorcycle a few minutes latter. I think it cost me about $44 delivered. Note there is a 15% off coupon on line that I found that payed for the shipping :)

Steve

You have a link to the coil you got???

bbap
honda305.com Member

Post by bbap » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:54 pm

Here's the link: https://www.jcwhitney.com/ignition-coil ... 343y1964j1

SKU Number: 1JA 013085

It comes with a small quantity of coil wire but it is not enough. You will need about 3.25 feet to do both sides. It also comes with a bracket that I did not use. I used the bracket that was on my previous coil.

Here's a "Promo Code" that you have to use quickly: FRSH39 (they sent it to me right after I ordered my coil. I think it expires on Tuesday and gives you free shipping). Hope you can use it.

Steve

Steve

CA78 - 3111XX - Frame
CA77E - 3161XX - Engine

Johnny5
honda305.com Member

Post by Johnny5 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:58 pm

bbap wrote:Here's the link: https://www.jcwhitney.com/ignition-coil ... 343y1964j1

It comes with a small quantity of coil wire but it is not enough. You will need about 3.25 feet to do both sides. It also comes with a bracket that I did not use. I used the bracket that was on my previous coil.

Here's a "Promo Code" that you have to use quickly: FRSH39 (they sent it to me right after I ordered my coil. I think it expires on Tuesday and gives you free shipping). Hope you can use it.

Steve

Steve

Just placed an order for the coil!!! The free shipping code worked, thank you very much!! Maybe now I can have the bike ready for Biketoberfest in Daytona the 13th!

bbap
honda305.com Member

Post by bbap » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:58 pm

Johnny5 wrote:
bbap wrote:Here's the link: https://www.jcwhitney.com/ignition-coil ... 343y1964j1

Steve

Steve

Just placed an order for the coil!!! The free shipping code worked, thank you very much!! Maybe now I can have the bike ready for Biketoberfest in Daytona the 13th!
Cool, hopefully it will work out for you. I'd suggest getting new spark plug wires if your using original equipment.

Steve
CA78 - 3111XX - Frame
CA77E - 3161XX - Engine

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home