Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

new CB77 on here

FIREMEDIC
honda305.com Member

work on the bike

Post by FIREMEDIC » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:38 pm

Here's a shot of the centrifugal oil filter which looks like it has never been cleaned. It had about 1/8" of residue caked on the inner drum surface, a pile of which is in the photo.

I jumped the starter directly and it sounds like the starter clutch needs work/cleaning/? It did jump right to the task at hand & did turn over the engine, briefly, before the characteristic, "clackety-clack."

Sorry, I forgot to get a pic of the taillight.

FIREMEDIC
honda305.com Member

working on it

Post by FIREMEDIC » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:05 pm

So today I went to my friend's mcy accessory parts business to work on the bike. I pulled the plug on one side. I removed the ignition cover to expose the points. They were greasy-dirty so I used brake cleaner on them & then 180 sandpaper to clean the points. I turned the motor over by hand to see if the points were opening & closing, and they were. The battery is no good, so I jumped from another, and as Archimedes said when the bathtub overflowed, "Eureka!" Both plugs were giving off a fat blue-white spark across the gaps as I kicked the bike over.

I haven't bothered w/a compression test yet, but the motor seems to have plenty of compression. I took the gas tank home w/me to clean and I have a new gas cap for it, $4.00 from my friend's shop.

I'm gonna start on cleaning the gas tank tonight. I ordered a new petcock because why trust that an old one won't leak gas & then have it ignite? Cheap insurance. I also ordered a new o ring for inside the cap on the oil slinger filter after digging out the accumulated grunge caking the interior about 1/8" thick. I wonder if the motor had ever been serviced for it? I also got a clutch cover gasket and will be persuading the shifter back into shape w/my gas ax (slightly bent). I am gonna take a peek inside when I reinstall the oil slinger by removing the L. side case cover. I don't want to make a mistake getting the small drive chain for the oil slinger back into place, so off the side cover comes.

I also cleaned & lubed the clutch cable & the front brake cable. I have not removed either wheel to inspect the integrity of the shoe linings. First I want to see the engine run & then I will do the things to make it safe to operate on the streets.

And for he who requested it, here is a shot of the taillight.

The passenger pegs are non-folding. The motor # is CB77E-10548xx. The frame is CB77-10547xx
The tag on the wiring loom under the tank says 1966. Having consulted threads on here, I am now wondering what someone would say is the year of manufacture? I know what I found, I want to know what others say. Opinions, please.

I am also asking to have this thread moved by the Administrator to the Restoration Projects header.
Attachments
taillight
taillight

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home