Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CA77 Throttle cable routing

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
Eck
honda305.com Member

CA77 Throttle cable routing

Post by Eck » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:15 am

Can someone tell me the correct way to route the throttle cable on a 1966 Honda CA77 Dream? Mine keeps binding up, I think I've tried most routes but maybe I'm missing something. This problem led me to buy a new cable thinking that might help but it did the opposite. The new cable seems to be too short, anyone else ever run into this? When I say too short the cable reaches the throttle grip area fine but I have to pull the inside of cable out (basically opening the throttle) to get it to attach to the slider doohickey and since I have to pull it out the engine revs. So I stuck the old cable back on as I don't have to do this with it, but when I rev the engine with the throttle it sticks and stays running fast, I can wiggle and push on the cable and usually (not always) get the revs to go down.

Not sure if this is clear, but I guess basically I just need to know how to keep the cable from binding. Right now it is routed through the round hole under the tank out the left side, then it rests (the threaded part of the cable) in a hook that also holds wiring, across the front of the tree and into the hole in the right of the handlebar up to the throttle.

Thanks
Kirk

48lesco
honda305.com Member

Post by 48lesco » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:09 pm

Hi - Mine is inside the frame and comes out the oval hole (forward of the round ones) on the left side with the wiring harness. It then wraps around the tree behind the headlight shell and comes out the same hole in the front fork sheet metal as the front brake cable on the right side. Through the rubber grommet into the handlebars then into the "stopper" (part #13 on the diagram). Make sure you have all of the throttle parts assembled correctly and the OEM cable should work fine. Should all be gentle bends with no sharp turns.

Fyrmdk
honda305.com Member

Post by Fyrmdk » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:17 pm

My cable runs the same route as 48lesco's. Binding, and slow throttle return seems to be a recurring theme with the CA77's. Has anyone tried to double up on the return springs in the carb to help overcome whatever friction there is in the cable?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:55 pm

Strain Ya Wrist!. ........lm

Fyrmdk wrote:My cable runs the same route as 48lesco's. Binding, and slow throttle return seems to be a recurring theme with the CA77's. Has anyone tried to double up on the return springs in the carb to help overcome whatever friction there is in the cable?

48lesco
honda305.com Member

Post by 48lesco » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:09 pm

They weren't designed to twist as easy or snap back like other throttles, think of it as cruise control. It's IMPORTANT to realize though, that the friction is all in the slider under the grip and not in the carb slide or cable. If you twist it back, the throttle should close and not stick open. If it does stick open, well, be glad it's only a 305... Let us know how you're doing or if you need pics.

GeorgeP1111
honda305.com Member

Re: CA77 Throttle cable routing

Post by GeorgeP1111 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:31 am

Eck wrote: The new cable seems to be too short, anyone else ever run into this? When I say too short the cable reaches the throttle grip area fine but I have to pull the inside of cable out (basically opening the throttle) to get it to attach to the slider doohickey and since I have to pull it out the engine revs.
Kirk
Yup, Been There... Done That. Last summer I purchased a set of cables from RetroBikes. The Clutch and Brake cables fit fine but the throttle cable was too short. Actually I should say that it was the housing that was 1/4" too long:

Throttle: OEM Cable Housing is about 34-5/8" (Retro Bikes 34-7/8” is too Long), Center (Pull) cable is 37”.

The end result was the same as you found, even with the mid cable adjuster fully minimized the carb slid was being held up causing high revs. I too put the original back in (lubed it and everything else well first of course) but I still have the problem of the revs hanging for a second or two after bottoming out the throttle. The original cable "Feels" fine, the carb has been cleaned and inspected and is free, and there is no air leak around the carb base. Valves and timing are on the money and the timing advancer "appears" to be free. It's a mystery.

FWIW, I sent the throttle cable back to RetroBikes with a explanation and the measurements. I got a refund, but no comments.

Good luck & have fun.

George

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home