Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

new CB77 on here

FIREMEDIC
honda305.com Member

new CB77 on here

Post by FIREMEDIC » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:42 pm

Hello, new to the forum, have many years of riding & wrenching, an amateur in the spanner-spinning category, but have been doing it on the personal fleet members for a long time. I wanted to post a pic of what I got recently. It is non-running but appears to have been in dry storage, which in FL is necessary to prevent becoming a rusty worthless piece of junk in several years.

The wiring loom says, "1966," the serial # has 7 digits & the 5th from the end of the # is a "5." Still waiting on the FL title.

The motor turns over, the electrical switches all click thru their normal ranges, but I have not put a battery into it yet to see what works & what doesn't. The shifter will return to center and it apparently is operable through all the gears of the gearbox. Throttle slides need to be unstuck, already using some PB Blaster.

I have an order pending w/Sudco for a new throttle, points, condenser, carb kits. I want to see it run before I spend any other $$ on it. Someone did a rattlecan paint job, at least it isn't rusty. I have two original keys. As far as it goes the clutch & F/R brakes all work smoothly, but before I try to pilot it down the road I will pull both wheels to check the hub linings, brake shoes, & wheel bearings. Right now the steering head doesn't seem to be 'brinnelled.' I will disassemble/inspect/clean/lube that as well once I get the motor running. The tires, while they hold air, are not adequate for highway use & will require replacement along w/the battery. Before I do that, I'll disassemble all electrical connections, inspect/clean/re-wire by soldering anything that needs it, re-ground the harness, check the high-tension leads for the coils at the coil ends & the plug boots. Do these plug caps have resistors in them? They appear to be the stock double-booted 90 degree caps.

I am expecting the rubber disc for the petcock will need replacement. Is there a cross-reference to a later model bike's petcock for being able to more-easily replace the disc?

My first bike was a '67 CL77 I bought from a college roommate in MI 40 yrs. ago. I kept it for a year, replaced lots of wear parts along the way & sold it for 60% more than I paid for it. It gave me an intro to the sport of off-road riding besides being capable of road use. Wanting more of that, I promptly took my cash & added some more $ and bought a new '72 RT-2 360 Enduro, which lasted about 1/2 yr. before I permanently removed the road equipment and used it for offroad riding /racing. I never was competitive against the Bultacos, OSSA's, and Maico's, but I had a lot of fun in the mid-pack & came close to top 3 occasionally. I still have it, and now I have come full-circle via my CB77.

I have read some of the content here the last few days before registering. Having used other bike sites, I hope I can count on getting assistance as I post, thanks in-advance.

I tried a couple times to upload a pic of the bike but the site keeps giving me a msg,"tried to upload an empty file." I browsed for a pic file in an accepted format and size, added a short comment in the 'file comment' box and hit 'preview' but nothing loads for the pic, suggestions?

FIREMEDIC
honda305.com Member

read the sticky on posting pics

Post by FIREMEDIC » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:56 pm

gonna try again.
Still 'no-dice.'
'Tried to upload empty file.'

Well I dunno what is the issue, I upload pics all the time on other sites but even though I examined 'properties' for the pic I wanted to post, it's way-smaller than the 512 KB limit & is an accepted format, it still will not load a pic.

FIREMEDIC
honda305.com Member

Finally!

Post by FIREMEDIC » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:01 am

Had to go to the image hosting route because the 'upload attachment' function would not co-operate w/me. "one way, or the other" '80's rock...

Just a phone camera pic. Not bad condition for 46 yrs. old though, but I will feel better when I get it to run.

brewsky
honda305.com Member

Post by brewsky » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:12 am

Welcome to the forum.

Be careful with the Sudco carb kits as they have contained incorrect parts previously...including wrong thread pitch on main jets.

May have been corrected by now........don't know for sure.

See here:
http://www.honda305.com/forums/viewtopi ... ight=sudco
66 dream, 78 cb750k, 02fz1, 09 wing

FIREMEDIC
honda305.com Member

thanks

Post by FIREMEDIC » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:13 am

I saw on the thread the info about Sudco's kits, guess I won't be using them. I saw the Sirius Consolidated site info & it looks like they have some useful stuff, I may try them instead for the carb kits. Is their petcock disc #16955-268-020 correct for my CB77? Thanks.

Planning on getting the carbs' slides freed today, may splash some gas in & see what happens if I can get the plugs to demonstrate spark.

mattjne
honda305.com Member

Post by mattjne » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:11 pm

Congrats! I have a 66 that appears to be just like yours - chrome fenders, frame handle, mid-rise bars. What kind of miles are on it? I'd like to see if your tail light is the same as mine.

FIREMEDIC
honda305.com Member

65/66 info

Post by FIREMEDIC » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:21 am

I will try to recall to snap a pic of the rear taillight for you, the bike is @ a friend's shop/aftermarket parts business. I only had a bit of time to do something today, I removed the fuse & cleaned the contacting parts, jumped from a battery & was rewarded w/headlight, taillight ,brakelight, horn, but no starter. Tried jumping directly to the starter when the button did nothing, but also nothing. Maybe tomorrow I will be able to remove the hot lead to the starter & try to jump it after polishing the contacts, if it works, then I will probably work backwards disassembling /cleaning all connections to the solenoid & starter button. No apparent spark @ plugs w/kickstarter, have not touched the points. I did throw some PB Blaster into the carb slides yesterday & today they are no-longer stuck! The slides/throttle return apparently fully, but I have not lubed the cables yet, so that's good as an indicator. I was planning to remove the carb set & throttle ass'y to work on the carbs to unstick the slides but now that won't be necessary, although the float valves likely need replacement.

As to mileage, 11K. The stock pleated paper air filters are still in place, haven't opened the centrifugal oil filter yet.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home