Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

65 Cl 77 Restoration

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
turfnook
honda305.com Member

65 Cl 77 Restoration

Post by turfnook » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:40 pm

Okay after making my initial post in the transmission section, I've come to realize that this is probably the best place to post about my questions, success, and failures regarding this bike.

Here's a little history.

In 1993 my father in law parked it because he said it was fouling plugs very quick and he thought it might have an oil leak in the engine. This summer I convinced him to let me try to get it going again and then we would see if we could find the real problem. I am 33 years old and have very little motorcycle experience but I enjoy the challenge of learning new things.

What I've done so far (or should I say here's my rookie mistakes and can you help me fix them?):

Clean tank
Take off carbs and have them ultrasonic clean at bike shop
Learned that the main jet is a 140 not the 135 that I've heard is the stock jet
Installed carbs and fresh gas in tank and took a SLOW drive around the neighborhood as recommended by the good folks here.
Noticed that gas leaks around the brass fitting (that fuel lines connect too) coming out of petcock and then had the fittings fall out of the petcock. I followed advise of friends and used JB weld to secure the fittings, this seemed to work but I am worried I may have made a big mistake here.
After riding I looked at spark plugs and notice left plug does seem a little dark but not too bad and no leak noticed yet.
I've also noticed that I can't get much of a reaction from the left side idle screw, as in very little response.
Curiosity got the best of me and I took off the cover over the Oil spinner/filter on the left crankcase and now I can't get the spinner/filter back on the chain.

Here's my questions
Why would one install a 140 sized jet in Central New York? Should I get the 135 installed and then do the recommended tune procedures as recommended my LM and others.
Why would the left idle screw give me no response?
Did I make a mistake with the JB Weld?
How does one reinstall the Oil spinner/filter back on chain without taking off crankcase cover?
I am thinking the plug fouling has something to do with the carbs what do ya think?

Any other suggestions or comments are appreciated!!
THANKS!!
ADAM

Here's another pic for those who have not seen the bike yet.
Honda Pics 002 by turfnook, on Flickr

[/list]

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:13 am

I think it was a bad idea to JB weld the fittings! No need, should have just tightened them up. It appears to have stock exh and air fliters, so you may want to try the 135 mains, needle clip second groove from the bottom. Put the chain on the oil filter, and then put the pin in the case. It can be done, but it's a B for sure.

Davo
davomoto
64 CB77
63-7 CB77 Cafe'
67 CL77
64 CL72
66 CL77 big bore flat tracker
Many others!

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: 65 Cl 77 Restoration

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:44 pm

Ya can remove the hose from both outlets and open valve to see if fuel comes out. ......lm

turfnook wrote:Okay after making my initial post in the transmission section, I've come to realize that this is probably the best place to post about my questions, success, and failures regarding this bike.

Here's a little history.

In 1993 my father in law parked it because he said it was fouling plugs very quick and he thought it might have an oil leak in the engine. This summer I convinced him to let me try to get it going again and then we would see if we could find the real problem. I am 33 years old and have very little motorcycle experience but I enjoy the challenge of learning new things.

What I've done so far (or should I say here's my rookie mistakes and can you help me fix them?):

Clean tank
Take off carbs and have them ultrasonic clean at bike shop
Learned that the main jet is a 140 not the 135 that I've heard is the stock jet
Installed carbs and fresh gas in tank and took a SLOW drive around the neighborhood as recommended by the good folks here.
Noticed that gas leaks around the brass fitting (that fuel lines connect too) coming out of petcock and then had the fittings fall out of the petcock. I followed advise of friends and used JB weld to secure the fittings, this seemed to work but I am worried I may have made a big mistake here.
After riding I looked at spark plugs and notice left plug does seem a little dark but not too bad and no leak noticed yet.
I've also noticed that I can't get much of a reaction from the left side idle screw, as in very little response.
Curiosity got the best of me and I took off the cover over the Oil spinner/filter on the left crankcase and now I can't get the spinner/filter back on the chain.

Here's my questions
Why would one install a 140 sized jet in Central New York? Should I get the 135 installed and then do the recommended tune procedures as recommended my LM and others.
Why would the left idle screw give me no response?
Did I make a mistake with the JB Weld?
How does one reinstall the Oil spinner/filter back on chain without taking off crankcase cover?
I am thinking the plug fouling has something to do with the carbs what do ya think?

Any other suggestions or comments are appreciated!!
THANKS!!
ADAM

Here's another pic for those who have not seen the bike yet.
Honda Pics 002 by turfnook, on Flickr

[/list]

turfnook
honda305.com Member

Finally got the oil filter chain on!!

Post by turfnook » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:13 pm

Well after spending about 2 hours last night and another hour tonite the oil filter is back together.

Here's how it went; I spend three hours getting nowhere so I ask my wife to get her tiny fingers in there to try to get the chain on and she has no luck. Sooo.. I ask my 6 year daughter who's hanging around cleaning the bike and asking questions if she wants to give it a try.. She says "Yup, no problem." After about 10 minutes I get "dad it's fixed, need me to fix anything else?" So of course I am like there's no way she gets it but lo and behold she did!! Not bad for a 6 year old, eh? It's been pretty cool working on this bike with her and I hope she continues to show interest.

Anyway Davo, what do you mean I should just screw those fittings back in? I don't see any threads I'll try to show a pic later of what I am talking about.

Thanks again,
Adam

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Finally got the oil filter chain on!!

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:19 pm

The fuel valve fitting are PRESS in.
Not even sealed by HONDA. ..........lm

turfnook wrote:Well after spending about 2 hours last night and another hour tonite the oil filter is back together.

Here's how it went; I spend three hours getting nowhere so I ask my wife to get her tiny fingers in there to try to get the chain on and she has no luck. Sooo.. I ask my 6 year daughter who's hanging around cleaning the bike and asking questions if she wants to give it a try.. She says "Yup, no problem." After about 10 minutes I get "dad it's fixed, need me to fix anything else?" So of course I am like there's no way she gets it but lo and behold she did!! Not bad for a 6 year old, eh? It's been pretty cool working on this bike with her and I hope she continues to show interest.

Anyway Davo, what do you mean I should just screw those fittings back in? I don't see any threads I'll try to show a pic later of what I am talking about.

Thanks again,
Adam

turfnook
honda305.com Member

Post by turfnook » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:10 pm

So if they're continually falling out what is the recommended procedure to eliminate this? Should I have just tapped them in a little harder?

Thanks,
Adam

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:25 pm

First off "They Don't Continually Fall Out".
Yes.
If fuel comes from BOTH OUTLETS ya haven't caused a problem.
Check It Out. ............... ............lm

turfnook wrote:So if they're continually falling out what is the recommended procedure to eliminate this? Should I have just tapped them in a little harder?

Thanks,
Adam

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home