□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Top speed....

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:55 pm

If it's running decent with good oil, shouldn't be a problem. I'm 5'11, 160 pounds and I've rode mine from Sacramento, CA to Seattle, WA along the coast. I usually cruise at about 70-75mph, I went down 2 teeth in the rear sprocket but stock should be fine as well. I try to vary my RPM's a little for the bike too if I'm at a constant pace on the freeway.
fab60 wrote:Really? These bikes cruise at 60-65 as a good cruising speed? I was reading some older magazine articles and they all said even though its a 305, it could keep up with some of its 500cc british rivals back in the day? Maybe those writers were too optimistic? By no means was i asking for the Hawk to be my daily driver to and from work which is 30 miles one way. Just wanted to know if it could handle weekend rides on the fwy to get me to and from them Mountain twisties!:)

reverus
honda305.com Member

wow!

Post by reverus » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:40 pm

hey guys, brand new here, i just got my 65 running a few days ago and hit the freeway for the first time, spent most of the time at 65, a few points up to 70, but honestly even though it felt like the motor had more, i feltlike my hands were going to vibrate off the bars!!!

56_oval
honda305.com Member

Re: wow!

Post by 56_oval » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:21 am

reverus wrote:hey guys, brand new here, i just got my 65 running a few days ago and hit the freeway for the first time, spent most of the time at 65, a few points up to 70, but honestly even though it felt like the motor had more, i feltlike my hands were going to vibrate off the bars!!!
That's one of the thrills of riding vintage bikes, whether it's a Honda, Triumph, or a Vespa! You can really feel an older bike. I will probably never own a bike bike made after 1979!

Either way, I hope you enjoy riding her.

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:29 am

reverus wrote:hey guys, brand new here, i just got my 65 running a few days ago and hit the freeway for the first time, spent most of the time at 65, a few points up to 70, but honestly even though it felt like the motor had more, i feltlike my hands were going to vibrate off the bars!!!
That's about right! Can be prone to seizing if all tuning parameters aren't spot-on, though, if high rpms are sustained.

Vibration can be a problem with CB77s (can't comment on CLs, though, as I've never ridden one); although it can be reduced with careful tweaking of the exhaust systems to ensure that they're not overstressed to meet the mountings. I've 'shimmed' mine, with M8 penny washers; it has made a big difference at higher rpms.

Please edit-in your location within your profile. And good luck; let's see some pics!

jleewebb
honda305.com Member

fast riding tip

Post by jleewebb » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:54 am

Here's a "point to remember" from the dealer setup info in Silver manual:

"Do not get the engine overheated by lugging or full throttle running for long periods of time. If when driving on long trips, the rider will roll off on the throttle every few minutes, and let the upper end lubricate itself, the life of the engine will be greatly increased."

Wearing gloves will help with vibration and is a good idea anyway.
'62 CB77. "It's a rider."

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:56 am

Vibration can be a problem with CB77s (can't comment on CLs, though, as I've never ridden one);

Steve, the CLs vibrate even more than the CBs. Most likely the full cradle frame and extra engine mounting point.

Davo
davomoto
64 CB77
63-7 CB77 Cafe'
67 CL77
64 CL72
66 CL77 big bore flat tracker
Many others!

lifewithoutparole
honda305.com Member

Vibration..

Post by lifewithoutparole » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:55 pm

I had never owned a 305 Honda before and having owned several 250 X6 Suzukis and a CB175 Honda I wasn't prepared for the difference though it isn't terrible, it vibrates alot more than my previous bikes. That said, I have a friend who has owns 90's+ bikes and came into a good deal on a CB350. He stated that the 350 shook alot and he hated that bike so he sold it and probably won't ever buy an old bike again...however, I love my CL77 and the more I ride it the more I am used to it's quirks. My brother had a 250 hawk back in the 60's and I never got to ride it so I don't have any comparison to the CB's but I hope to get a chance to ride one sometime. Love this forum...fabulous information!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home