□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Another newbie, Just picked up a 305

murray-eliminator
honda305.com Member

Post by murray-eliminator » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:55 pm

Well got the side cover off today and everything looks good, no missing or broken parts.. but like stated above the kick starter will be a pain to fix if i want it, so for now i will just use the electric start..:) While i have the cover off i will clean it up & paint it.

OldStan
honda305.com Member

Post by OldStan » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:05 am

You mentioned a leak coming from the right cover. Now is a good time to check it out. clean it up and start it without the cover. The seals are for the most part far enough apart you can pinpoint which one is leaking. The exception there is the crankshaft seals. One is in the case and another is in the outside of the starter sprocket. Of course they could all be hard and leaking from sitting so long.
63 CA78

murray-eliminator
honda305.com Member

Post by murray-eliminator » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:17 am

I will do that. I started it up for about i Min yesterday and couldn't find any oil coming from anywere. it may have been coming from the drive chain. I oiled it up and thinking the excess may have pooled in the bottom of the cover, but will check it out better to make sure. Thanks for the help guy's.

murray-eliminator
honda305.com Member

Post by murray-eliminator » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:38 am

Ok Now i have a fuel leak coming from the petcock. I bought a rebuild kit but it still leaks bad. seems like a bad design, the shut off sandwiched between 2 rubber discs?..anyone have tips to get this to seal better?.

Image[/url]

conbs
honda305.com Member

Leaking petcock

Post by conbs » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:44 pm

First make sure everything is very clean, including the hole in the body that the shaft of # 5 part fits down into.

Second make sure the #4 part is good and smooth on both sides. I have a piece of marble (very flat) I put a piece of sandpaper on it and lay the piece flat on it to sand it smooth. Good if you can zinc coat it after flattening to avoid future rusting, but not necessary to stop the leak now.

Third, mine leaked until I used the cork piece #7.

Finally once you get it back together, put a drift punch on the top of piece #5 and tap mildly until the shaft is seated all the way into the body.

I could not stop the leaks until I did these 4 things and since I did it has not leaked a drop. The lever moves nice and smooth, too.

bbap
honda305.com Member

Post by bbap » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:32 pm

I did pretty much the same as Conbs after my initial try leaked considerably. Additionally, I used the cork (mine came with cork and rubber) and soaked the cork in gas for about 10 minutes before putting it all back together. I tightened down the 3 screws pretty tightly as well. Steve
CA78 - 3111XX - Frame
CA77E - 3161XX - Engine

Jethro
honda305.com Member

Post by Jethro » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:24 pm

Hi. There is a product called E-Z Turn that comes in a tube. I use it all the time. It's a lubricant used on fuel system components and it also helps seal things up a bit better. It kind of a waxy paste that you spread on fuel parts. With the dream petcocks it works well because the more you torque the screws the harder it becomes to turn the selector.
Here's a link
http://www.averytools.com/prodinfo.asp?number=90306

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home