honda305.com Forum

Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Installing cam chain from classichondarestoration?

big-b
honda305.com Member

Installing cam chain from classichondarestoration?

Post by big-b » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:21 pm

I'm a little confused by this press in master link, i don't know if you can help me out.

I removed 2 pins and seperated the chain which left me with two pins and the inner chain link pc. you can see that in one of the pics. It seems like once i install the chain I could just press these 2 pins back in and it would be done?

The question comes in with the "master link" that was included. It has the 2 pins connected to an outer plate and then came with another outer plate, I have know idea how this would be installed or how it would be different then pressing the original pins back in.

By the way when i pulled it up over the top sproket it seemed like it was going to be pretty tight without even installing the chain tensioner, is this normal?

Any insight into this would be great.

Brian

linmictil
honda305.com Member

cam chain

Post by linmictil » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:51 am

Mornin: I ordered a cam chain last night and your post caught my eye this morning. Where did you order it from? I got mine from "BikeBandit". It is a Tsubaki. I don't have an answer but will be watching your post in case I run into the same problem... Have a good one mike

big-b
honda305.com Member

Post by big-b » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:40 am

It came from classichondarestoration.

I think after looking at this enough i can answer my own question. It looks like what i did was remove 2 pins and take out the inside link leaving eash end of the chain with the two outside plates exposed.

What i should have done was remove 2 pins and 2 outer plates leaving the ends of the chain with two inner links exposed.

Having the two inner links exposed on the end would allow me to connect with the master link in pic two. The master link would get slid through the two inner links and then i would just press the outter plate on the other side.

I guess it just helps to talk it through to myself sometimes.

Brian

OldStan
honda305.com Member

Post by OldStan » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:29 am

Your assessment is correct as far as you go. Once you put the outer link on you need to "rivet" the ends of the pin. There is a special tool for that, although I have seen where people have backed the chain up with a hammer and used a punch, but I wouldn't vouch for the effectiveness of that. I think I've seen a thread where someone made their own tool, you might do a search and find that.

I just put my top end together and the chain is tight without the tensioner installed, in fact it was difficult to get over the sprocket, seemed like a 1/2 link short, and had to squeeze it together to put the plate on the master link. I was lucky enough to find a chain with the clip style master link.

63 CA78

big-b
honda305.com Member

Post by big-b » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:34 am

Thanks Stan.

Brian

teazer
honda305.com Member

Post by teazer » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:17 pm

That new master link is "soft" at the ends. That allows it to be riveted in place with hand tools and doesn't require a large press or rivet gun.

I have a rivet tool and usually still end up with a FBH and punch to stake it.

nander
honda305.com Member

Post by nander » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:22 am

I got one of those tsubaki cam chains off eBay. It is beefier than the old one that was in there with the clip. Took a lot more fiddling to get it in position which I attributed to it being a little tighter. I have yet to peen the ends over satisfactorily. Getting something held firmly in place behind the master link and hitting a punch squarely proved difficult. the metal didn't seem that willing to mushroom over.I've borrowed one of those motion pro chain breaker/riveter tools and I am going to see if that will do the job. I guess it would be nice to know what a satisfactorily peened/riveted link should look like.

Can anyone provide a pic, or a detailed description of the process?

Thanks,
Nander

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home