Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Head gasket leaked on first run:(

Jethro
honda305.com Member

Head gasket leaked on first run:(

Post by Jethro » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:06 am

So I ran my engine for the first time last night for just a minute or less. Ran very well. Came back and ran it for about 5 minutes and when I shut it off I noticed some oil pooling up on the starter. Deffinately coming from the head gasket. I put the two O-rings in the proper position and I was not expecting this thing to leak. I'm pretty upset. Is there anything that can be done besides tearing back into it and putting a new head gasket in?
Thanks, Jethro

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Head gasket leaked on first run:(

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:23 am

Have ya tightened the head bolts since ya ran it?
Did ya use a gasket set with the 2 blue top gaskets?. ........lm

Jethro wrote:So I ran my engine for the first time last night for just a minute or less. Ran very well. Came back and ran it for about 5 minutes and when I shut it off I noticed some oil pooling up on the starter. Deffinately coming from the head gasket. I put the two O-rings in the proper position and I was not expecting this thing to leak. I'm pretty upset. Is there anything that can be done besides tearing back into it and putting a new head gasket in?
Thanks, Jethro

Jethro
honda305.com Member

Post by Jethro » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:07 am

Thanks for the reply LM. I got the gasket set from you when you rebuilt my head. Havn't tightened the head nuts yet. When I assembled the engine, I torqued the nuts, retorqued them a day later, then torqued them again a few days after that. 15 ft. lbs. if I remember right. Should I go tighter?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:03 pm

Go to 22. ..........lm

Jethro wrote:Thanks for the reply LM. I got the gasket set from you when you rebuilt my head. Havn't tightened the head nuts yet. When I assembled the engine, I torqued the nuts, retorqued them a day later, then torqued them again a few days after that. 15 ft. lbs. if I remember right. Should I go tighter?

Jethro
honda305.com Member

Post by Jethro » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:56 pm

Will do, thanks LM
Is it pretty common to have to torque to 22? Do they tend to leak at only 15 FT. LBs?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:53 pm

Book shows 13.xx to 16.xx.
I go 22 as all the threads are not as new. ........lm
Jethro wrote:Will do, thanks LM
Is it pretty common to have to torque to 22? Do they tend to leak at only 15 FT. LBs?

305nutt
honda305.com Member

Post by 305nutt » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:26 am

I feel your pain, I just went through the same thing. I tried retorquing and all, but nothing helped. I took it apart again, put on another nos head gasket but put a small film of ultra black silicon on both sides of the gasket and a coat on another new set of orings, put it together and it is leak free now. The worst part is I didn't see anything obvious and scrapped a nos head gasket. The only thing I can figure is the silicon helped seal it up. Good luck, let us know what happens. nutt

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home