Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Replacing the transmission main shaft oil seal

Norm
honda305.com Member

Replacing the transmission main shaft oil seal

Post by Norm » Wed May 25, 2011 10:03 am

I am replacing a leaky oil seal on the transmission shaft, (30628) of my '65 CB77, but am having difficulty removing the old one. Does anyone know the proceedure or any tricks for getting it out?

I replaced it a few years ago but don't remember having this much trouble. Also, does any one know the location of the crankcase breather on this bike? I have an old manual that mentions it in a drawing, but it is not clear. After my son flopped the bike awhile back presure built up in the crankcase and lead to my present leaky seal, I think.

Thanks for any help.

Dana01
honda305.com Member

Post by Dana01 » Wed May 25, 2011 1:08 pm

Hi Norm,

Welcome to the forum. Please add your city & state to your profile. You never know who might live nearby.

If the trans is apart, you can carefully tap-tap-tap from the inside along the middle lip and push it out.

Sometimes you can pull it out with a curved hook-type seal puller, but I don't like then because they can rip through and possibly score the seal seating surface. You can make one by bending and grinding a coat hangar end to a point.
Dana

1966/7 CB-77 Red of course
1976 CB-550F (project over-budget and under-funded)
1985 GS-450S (Land Speed Racer)

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Re: Replacing the transmission main shaft oil seal

Post by e3steve » Sun May 29, 2011 3:33 am

Norm wrote:......Also, does any one know the location of the crankcase breather on this bike? I have an old manual that mentions it in a drawing, but it is not clear. After my son flopped the bike awhile back presure built up in the crankcase and lead to my present leaky seal, I think.

Thanks for any help.
Which model? C/CA (Dream touring), CB (Super Sports/Super Hawk) or CL (Street scrambler)? And year or engine number?

Some '61 motors have the 'tower breather' at the top/rear of the upper crankcase (see pic); '62> model years breath from the cylinder head top plate.
Attachments
'61 breather tower.jpg

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home