Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Help wanted to nail down correct paint color for my bike

rpr851r
honda305.com Member

Help wanted to nail down correct paint color for my bike

Post by rpr851r » Tue May 17, 2011 7:23 am

Hello,
I am plugging away at my Scramble project and am in the process of figuring out paint. The bike is a 1967 (frame CL77-10590XX) and has chrome fenders and a seat with the silver welt. The side covers and tank have been painted silver over a blue/purple metallic (see pic below). The blue/purple looks to be applied over either another silver or grey coat (possibly primer). Also the back of the side cover is silver/grey. I would take that evidence to mean the original color is silver but I am curious because the bike has chrome fenders and silver seat welt and I get the impression from things I have read that those bikes had candy paint. Can anyone confirm that bikes with chrome fenders and silver seat welt were also sold in silver?

Thanks,
Rich
Attachments
Side cover
Side cover

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Help wanted to nail down correct paint color for my bike

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue May 17, 2011 7:30 am

The bikes with CHROME finders were issued with the Silver tank and side covers also.
Unfortunately there is no data as to how many of any particular color. ............lm

rpr851r wrote:Hello,
I am plugging away at my Scramble project and am in the process of figuring out paint. The bike is a 1967 (frame CL77-10590XX) and has chrome fenders and a seat with the silver welt. The side covers and tank have been painted silver over a blue/purple metallic (see pic below). The blue/purple looks to be applied over either another silver or grey coat (possibly primer). Also the back of the side cover is silver/grey. I would take that evidence to mean the original color is silver but I am curious because the bike has chrome fenders and silver seat welt and I get the impression from things I have read that those bikes had candy paint. Can anyone confirm that bikes with chrome fenders and silver seat welt were also sold in silver?

Thanks,
Rich

rpr851r
honda305.com Member

Post by rpr851r » Tue May 17, 2011 7:53 am

Thanks LM. That's what I needed to know.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue May 17, 2011 12:06 pm

Ya welcome. .............lm
rpr851r wrote:Thanks LM. That's what I needed to know.

rpr851r
honda305.com Member

Post by rpr851r » Tue May 17, 2011 3:51 pm

LM,
Is the blue/purple seen on the side covers close to an original color? As I blast it off it strikes me that the blue /purple could be original. Do you know if the candy colors were shot over a silver base like a true candy or a single color application over bare metal like the silver? Also were the backside of the covers were originally painted the same candy color when Honda did them or were they silver/base color? I am trying to get the bike back to original the best I can and appreciate the knowledge.

Thanks again,
Rich

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue May 17, 2011 4:28 pm

HONDA didn't prime the covers just sprayed the Silver.
When the Candy type color was used a Base Color was sprayed. (silver)
Only 2 candy colors. Blue and Gold (sort of)
Only the tank and air cleaner covers were this color and the rest of the bike was black. ..............lm
rpr851r wrote:LM,
Is the blue/purple seen on the side covers close to an original color? As I blast it off it strikes me that the blue /purple could be original. Do you know if the candy colors were shot over a silver base like a true candy or a single color application over bare metal like the silver? Also were the backside of the covers were originally painted the same candy color when Honda did them or were they silver/base color? I am trying to get the bike back to original the best I can and appreciate the knowledge.

Thanks again,
Rich

captianron01
honda305.com Member

305paint

Post by captianron01 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:38 pm

there were two candy colors Blue and Burnt Orange a lot of people say there was no burnt orange but i had one new 1967 the title said burnt orange they were sprayed over silver two step prosses.Just the tank,and side covers painted these colors.
Attachments
found this on net
found this on net

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home