Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

The rebirth of a C78 305 Honda Dream

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
4shorts
honda305.com Member

Post by 4shorts » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:00 pm

Well I got one wheel laced today. Still have to build the truing stand to set it up. Here's a few more pics to bore the heck out of you all.

As you can see I used tape to keep the spokes in place while I worked the rim around them. The last pic shows just how dirty the wheels were on this bike. The last time I spoked a wheel was about 20 years ago so my techniques may not be approved by most. Paul

joeweir1
honda305.com Member

Post by joeweir1 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:56 pm

Who was the seller for the rims?Were they an Ebay item?

Michael Stoic
honda305.com Member

Post by Michael Stoic » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:41 pm

Paul,

Wonderful photos! Really a pleasure to follow your progress! Your work is an inspiration!!!

Michael

4shorts
honda305.com Member

Post by 4shorts » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:59 am

Joe I did get them off of Ebay. I had watched this guy in Hong Kong selling different items on there so I emailed him asking about rims. He emailed me back saying he could get them. Well after my bad experience with the Apex mufflers that's made in China and sold by an American seller on Ebay I was a little nervous but the seller told me they were good quality so for a $150. US to my door I took the chance and I'm happy with the result. The only thing I did with these rime to make the lacing easier was to drill out the holes 1/16th larger for the spokes. I found the holes were just a wee bit to snug and this only took a few minutes to do and the lacing went much easier.

I checked my records and the auction was over for the rims I bought off this guy but I did some sniffing around for you ( that's one thing I'm good at) and he has more up on auction. I attached the link below. At least everyone know's he's ligit now that I got a set. The next thing I will do is make a cheap truing stand to true the rims. Up here in Newfoundland there's no one to do this sort of thing. If there were I would job it out. I did ask the local Honda dealer and they said they would never quote a job like that because they didn't know how long it would take and it could take days to do them so if anyone is going to experiment on my wheels it may as well be me!

Here's the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-30 ... 0017535583

4shorts
honda305.com Member

Post by 4shorts » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:13 am

Michael Stoic wrote:Paul,

Wonderful photos! Really a pleasure to follow your progress! Your work is an inspiration!!!

Michael
Thanks Michael. Takes a bit more time to post the pictures but I hope it's helping someone out seeing them while some others will see how crazy some of us Canadians aredoing the restoration work on these bikes! It's kind of funny. When the bike first came in the shop a few fellows said "What's that old thing doing in here". One of the same guys came in the shop yeasterday asking about it and when I showed him the progress on it he said " Your going to sell me this thing when it's completed" now that was a surprise to me considering he thought it was junk when I got it. With 2313 views on this topic it seems there are others interested in the progress of the bike as well.

FiremanBob
honda305.com Member

Post by FiremanBob » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:35 am

Paul, to make it easier to true the rims you can get a spoke torque wrench. It's expensive at around $100 US but saves a lot of time and makes getting even tension and good roundness foolproof. FASST and Excel are the two big brands - you can search for "spoke torque wrench" on Fleabay. I haven't bought mine yet but am months away from building wheels.

4shorts
honda305.com Member

Post by 4shorts » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:59 am

FiremanBob wrote:Paul, to make it easier to true the rims you can get a spoke torque wrench. It's expensive at around $100 US but saves a lot of time and makes getting even tension and good roundness foolproof. FASST and Excel are the two big brands - you can search for "spoke torque wrench" on Fleabay. I haven't bought mine yet but am months away from building wheels.

Thanks Bob. Appreciate the info. I bet it would be faster for sure. My problem is the fact I don't do many spoked wheels. I can hardly remember the last time I spoked one so I don't know if I can justify the cost of the tool In my case but then again if it does the job right the first time It's worth it.

You cracked me up with the term "Fleabay" Now that's funny. Get'er done! Thanks for the info. I'm going to check it out. Got your camera yet? Looking forward to seeing some cool pictures! Paul

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home