honda305.com Forum

Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

30W Non-detergent - Or is there something better?

geosar
honda305.com Member

Post by geosar » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:15 am

I have been using Rotella synthetic in all of my bikes since I purchased my 2005 V-strom 650.

No slippage, no problems. No leaks.

I have been a student of that Physics fellow referred to on this thread who has made a science of motor bike riding and maintenance. He has some good information.

So you are a VStom (WeeStrom) guy too, Davo?

Great bike, eh? I love mine but have found a new love for my old Honda recently.

By the way, I just discovered this somewhat ancient thread and I agree you cannot beat this to death. With each comment I read there is the possibility of finding a nugget of data or information.

George
Arizona

Snakeoil
honda305.com Member

Post by Snakeoil » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:30 pm

Vince,

For some reason I thought I had put Rotella in my CL77, but today as I was doing some final touches on the bike I found my jug of oil and it is in fact, Rotella T.

This is what I ran in the bike last year and will run it until the gallon is gone and then will switch to the synthetic Rotella. She does smoke a tad and will be needing a rebuild one of these days. 14k+ on the odo. But she runs fine for now and doesn't leak(knocking on wood here).

All I can guess is the gray hair kicked in and adjusted my memory to believing I had put standard Rotella in mine. The Rotella T I'm running is 15W-40.

regards,
Rob
Last edited by Snakeoil on Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Goodysnap
honda305.com Member

Post by Goodysnap » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:39 pm

I was unaware that Shell made a synthetic diesel oil in 15w40. I believe that both conventional and synthetic versions are labeled as (Rotella T). Rotella T synthetic I have seen is common but in 5w40. In the trucking industry alot of companies are finding that running the full synthetic oil after periods of running conventional ussually leads to increased oil consumption.
64' CB77
65' CB160

cyclon36
honda305.com Member

Post by cyclon36 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:57 pm

Goodysnap wrote:I was unaware that Shell made a synthetic diesel oil in 15w40. I believe that both conventional and synthetic versions are labeled as (Rotella T). Rotella T synthetic I have seen is common but in 5w40. In the trucking industry alot of companies are finding that running the full synthetic oil after periods of running conventional ussually leads to increased oil consumption.
In general automotive circles, it is usually recommended that if you switch to a synthetic, to do so early on (within the first few oil changes). Otherwise, if you've run non synthetic for a period, it is best to keep using it.

jensen
honda305.com Member

Post by jensen » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:57 am

Hi,

Don't use 5W30 or 5W40 in these bikes, 5W is just too viscose, better use 10W40 or 10W50.
When using such thin oil the engine starts to consume oil, especially at the valve stem, remember, these engines don't use a valve stem seal.

Jensen
assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:21 am

So, what's a guy to do?

I'll soon (in the ensuing few weeks) re-assemble my motor with the following NOS parts:
  • Gearbox bearings & bushings
    Primary chain, 5-plate cush clutch -- no retaining rings (appears to be no provision for them)
    Gudgeon pins, 0.1mm o/size
    Pistons/rings (re-bored to 3rd over)
    Valves & guides (I have the correctly-sized reamer)
    Camshaft bearings, camchain & idler/tensioner
Do I start with the aforementioned/discussed Rotella T syn? Or do I use a mineral oil for the first change or two? I've been using a Cepsa 15W/30 semi-syn during the past 2k-miles or so.

Any informed opinions gratefully considered!

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:55 am

I've been using regular Rotella T in my bike (non-synthetic 15w40), but since I basically just had the engine rebuilt, was wondering if it would be a good idea to switch to the synthetic version, and if that would gain me anything.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home