□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

New guy here

miles2912
honda305.com Member

Post by miles2912 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:48 pm

Looks good. All these pics help those of us that are just starting.

thumper2146
honda305.com Member

Post by thumper2146 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:25 pm

yes very nice it will be done in no time. i got to ride one of mine today a bit around the hood:) that is the nice part of living in california

56_oval
honda305.com Member

Post by 56_oval » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:27 am

Dallas wasn't too bad today. Somewhere in the high 60's. At least better than Wednesday when it was around 7 degrees with the windchill. I just wish she was done! I did get her to start today. Smoked a bit though. I'm hoping it's just cause the rings need to set. I was happy to hear her run either way.

56_oval
honda305.com Member

Post by 56_oval » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:08 am

Got the mufflers and headers in today. Spent about two hours scrubbing them with a steel brush and got em installed. Its amazing how much better the engine runs! Started right up no problems.
I've painted my tank about 3 times now and I keep getting this cracking look (not fish eyes) in the same spot everytime. I sand clean and spray and about 5 minutes after the paint starts to crack again in that spot. If anyone knows anything about that, let me know. All I'm waiting on now is the paint, seat, and a headlight.

I'll post some pics asap.

Snakeoil
honda305.com Member

Post by Snakeoil » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:03 pm

56_oval wrote:I've painted my tank about 3 times now and I keep getting this cracking look (not fish eyes) in the same spot everytime. I sand clean and spray and about 5 minutes after the paint starts to crack again in that spot. If anyone knows anything about that, let me know.
When you say "cracks" do you mean the paint separates and you can see the primer below? Or do you mean it wrinkles?

I'm not sure why it would crack. But if it wrinkles, that usually means that something under the paint is not cured. Enamels wrinkle if you recoat outside the recommended time limits. Spraying laquers over enamels causes problems, too.

The only thing I can think of that would make the top coat crack would be the expansion of the coat underneath it. So, if the chemicals in the top coat are causing the bottom coat to expand after the top coat skins over, that could be your problem. Is there any filler in that area. The filler could be the culprit.

Normally, a contaminant, like oil or silicone will make the paint fisheye so I don't think that is your problem.

I'd be willing to bet that if you go to a painting website, you'll get to the bottom of your problem.
regards,
Rob

56_oval
honda305.com Member

Post by 56_oval » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:04 pm

Snakeoil wrote:
56_oval wrote:I've painted my tank about 3 times now and I keep getting this cracking look (not fish eyes) in the same spot everytime. I sand clean and spray and about 5 minutes after the paint starts to crack again in that spot. If anyone knows anything about that, let me know.
When you say "cracks" do you mean the paint separates and you can see the primer below? Or do you mean it wrinkles?

I'm not sure why it would crack. But if it wrinkles, that usually means that something under the paint is not cured. Enamels wrinkle if you recoat outside the recommended time limits. Spraying laquers over enamels causes problems, too.

The only thing I can think of that would make the top coat crack would be the expansion of the coat underneath it. So, if the chemicals in the top coat are causing the bottom coat to expand after the top coat skins over, that could be your problem. Is there any filler in that area. The filler could be the culprit.

Normally, a contaminant, like oil or silicone will make the paint fisheye so I don't think that is your problem.

I'd be willing to bet that if you go to a painting website, you'll get to the bottom of your problem.
regards,
Rob
Yeah, more like wrinkles. I sanded it down a little just now, and I may just prime the whole thing again. I was really pissed this last time cause the rest of the tank came out great except for the one small spot near the front. I am getting tired of sanding...

maia
honda305.com Member

Post by maia » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:48 pm

56 oval, check out my thread at "restorations" carport find. Your bike looks in very similar shape as mine when I found it.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home