Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

My 305 Superhawk engine Rebuild?

big-b
honda305.com Member

My 305 Superhawk engine Rebuild?

Post by big-b » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:43 pm

I may be over my head, but the easy part is done. I was able to free my stuck motor with some Kroil and a large sledge hammer. Anyway this is where i'm at, i have the Bill Silvers manuals to help me along but i'm sure i'll have many questions. I have some mechanical abilities but i've never re-built a motor before. Here are some pictures, what am i in for? Valve Job, new piston and rings, cylinder bores? First i think i'll start with a good cleaning.

Dana01
honda305.com Member

Post by Dana01 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:55 pm

Looks like a fun winter project ;) You can check the condition of the valve seats by filling the head space (head is upside down) with a thin solvent like acetone or even petrol and see if any leaks out. If it does dribble, a good cleaning and maybe just a valve lapping may be all that's needed (you can do that yourself). Otherwise a valve job may be in order. If they hold liquid, I wouldn't take em apart. Others here may have differing opinions ... and of course mileage is a factor. I would replace the piston rings anyway. I would clean the bore with fine steel wool and lacquer thinner or acetone. If the diameter is within spec and there's no scoring you'll probably be fine. And of course buy your new gasket/o-ring kit now ... dunno if they come with wrist pin clips. If not, get those.

Have fun!
Last edited by Dana01 on Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dana

1966/7 CB-77 Red of course
1976 CB-550F (project over-budget and under-funded)
1985 GS-450S (Land Speed Racer)

miles2912
honda305.com Member

Post by miles2912 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:59 pm

I am in the same boat your are. Never re-built a motor and I am sure the project bike that I have will need some love. Great pics BTW, I am sure they will help with my re-build.

zoom
honda305.com Member

Post by zoom » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:35 pm

That exactly where I am at with my motor and experience. I Let my buddy check over the head and valves ect., he owns his own shop and collects and repairs vintage bikes. No cut on the shop labor though and got to be careful to ask to much free advice. He's trying to make a living to. He did find that some previous owner was in the head and put it together wrong. Did some minor damage but he says it won't effect the reliability or function, may tick a bit. I would have struggled to take it apart (he did also) and it ( I ) would have probably put it together the same way. That was $300 well spent.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home