Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

The rebirth of a C78 305 Honda Dream

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
4shorts
honda305.com Member

The rebirth of a C78 305 Honda Dream

Post by 4shorts » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:02 pm

Hello everyone. Although I've been posting on this site for a few weeks now I never formally never introduced myself. My name is Paul. I live in Newfoundland, Canada. I own a automotive repair shop here and have been in business for 11 years now. As a hobby I like to restore old gas pumps, Coca Cola items and even old weigh scales. I've always loved motorcycles and the bike I now own is a 1800 GoldWing. About a month ago I purchased an old 65 CT200 which I had just completed a complete restoration of when I came across my "Dream" bike. I knew about the bike in my area for over 15 years and wanting to get it and do my best to restore it I decided to go back to the owner and see if he was ready to sell it. Well after an evening or two he said ok and I dragged the Dream home.

After getting some encouragement from a fellow board member (prima5star) I decided to post pictures of how I'm going to restore this bike. It's already been started but I'll start with this post and post more pictures in a few days. As I go along I would appreciate any comments or suggestions and if there's any questions you would like to ask me feel free to do so.

To begin with I got the bike back to my shop. The bike had no spark. I did a compression test and had about 150 psi on both cylinders. I cleaned the points and adjusted them. I now had spark. I then removed the carb and cleaned it out, re-installed it on the bike and the bike started right up and ran great. It was the first time the bike ran since 1991 and it was nice to hear it. I've attached a short video of the motor running and a picture of the bike as I got it. As time goes on I'll post more pictures as I get along.

Last edited by 4shorts on Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prima5star
honda305.com Member

Post by prima5star » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:28 pm

Paul,

I'm glad you took me up on the idea. I'm glad to hear you are starting with a runner. I've seen a few people who painted a non-runner and ended up scratching stuff up in their mechanical efforts once it was assembled. Can you post a picture of the turn signal kit? I've never seen all the components together off a bike. It's a shame US bikes didn't get the turn signal set up on most of their bikes- they add to the space age charm of the bike in my opinion.
Matt

Also into Alfa Romeo Giuliettas and Giulias! Looking for a Giulia Super.

4shorts
honda305.com Member

Post by 4shorts » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:49 pm

Matt,
I don't know if you would call it a kit on this bike because it's part of the bike. The front turn signals are made out of cast aluminum. Holes are in the handlebars for the sugnal wire to go through and the switch in built into the handlebar control. I've taken dozens of pics of the bike before I stripped it down and the bike is now in hundred's of parts but here's the pics have of the unit. I'll get you more detailed ones as I get along with the project. Paul

Dogsbd
honda305.com Member

Post by Dogsbd » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:52 pm

Thanks for posting this Paul; it is probably going to be a couple more months before I can get down to any serious work on my 66 Dream so the more you share here in this thread the more inspiration I'll have! That video is great, that really REALLY gets me "cranked up" to get to work on my bike. Good luck!

Michael Stoic
honda305.com Member

Post by Michael Stoic » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:29 pm

Paul,

I really enjoy reading your posts! Your shop looks like a fantastic place to be in! I love seeing all the restored motoring equipment. And then the restored bikes!!

I wish I knew about your shop when I visited Newfoundland, but I had to content myself with observing the icebergs floating near the harbor off St. Anthony and trying to hike up the left shoulder of the fjord. Needless to say, the clear air makes distances seem deceiving; we only made it maybe 2/3 mile up through the northern jungle so dense every move was a stuggle (to say nothing of the incline of 65 deg or so, where, but not for the brush and brancehs literaly supporting us from the backside, and providing living, gripping ladders up front, but for those we would have been rolling down as soon as we tried to go up). Next time I am there, I am definitely taking the chopper tour (couldn't afford it back when I was 22). So many great memories!!

Thank you for providing a link through the hobby that unites so many!

On the subject of the Turn Signals: Honda calls them Winkers and the ones on your bike are an original equipment set, listed in the parts books. Very rare!

4shorts
honda305.com Member

Post by 4shorts » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:33 pm

Thanks guys for your kind words. Mike you'll have to return to Newfoundland but this time come on over the the other end of Newfoundland where I am. I'm one hour from the most Easterly point in North America. I'm on the east coast of the rock. Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip. As for my shop, well I can tell you I spend alot of time out here for sure but really enjoy it. I guess you could call me a garage fly! I just put up a post on the restoration section of this site. After the pipes and mufflers I had arrive in the mail today I think my Dream just turned into a nightmare. Worst quality I've ever seen. Living here in Newfoundland didn't alow me to look before I bought. Be carefull out there guys. After today I realize there's folks peddeling some aweful stuff. Good luck, Paul

Bon
honda305.com Member

Post by Bon » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:25 pm

I have my Dream broken down right now and am preparing to clean and seal the gas tank before stripping and painting. Also, of course, I too am buying parts for the restoration. Do you mind saying how bought your worse than expected exhaust parts? Were they from a private seller or a company. eBay? I don't want to crucify anyone but it might help others to avoid the pitfalls of restorations.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home