Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Battery on a budget

Charging System, Wiring, Lighting
GG
honda305.com Member

Finding a battery

Post by GG » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:21 pm

When I had my Superhawk in the US, it was getting harder and harder to find the real cb77 battery with the flat ears. I took the measurements into NAPA, and they could always get me a battery with just little upright tabs but the same size, amperage, and with the posts in the right direction. Just a regular wet battery, can't remember the brand right now, but as long as I was riding the bike I didn't have a problem. Sometimes if I was doing a lot of short errands around town the battery would get low - you know right away on a Superhawk because it won't idle! Will keep killing on you. Time for a manual charge-up.

I've no experience with the newfangled gel stuff and other batteries mentioned on this post, so can't comment. But most good stores can match up a battery with dimensions and amperage requirements.

Check the ground cable from time to time for corrosion. Won't get a good charge if the ground cable isn't clean.

GG
Costa Rica
Attachments
P5140068b.jpg

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:49 am

My MotoBatt AGM (US$35+shipping) has been flawless. One of these days I'll pull off the plug caps and crank it until it fades and let you know just how good it is.

A perfect replacement and 4 flush terminals.

cphillips
honda305.com Member

Post by cphillips » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:03 pm

To houseowax, in my pre 1965 dream, I removed the stock air cleaner, put on a universal one, built a custom battery tray out of aluminum and attached it to the two rear engine mount bolts. I then made a larger hole in the battery side of the frame in order to insert a larger diehard 14-bs battery. It really works well and cranks the bike over great. With the ricks motorsports stator and a battery tender I intend it to last a long time.
Attachments
The new battery
The new battery
Top view of tray.
Top view of tray.
Side view of my tray.
Side view of my tray.
I riveted this bracket to the tray to attach it to the engine bolts.
I riveted this bracket to the tray to attach it to the engine bolts.
The hole was not cleaned up in this picture.
The hole was not cleaned up in this picture.

FIREMEDIC
honda305.com Member

Odyssey batteries

Post by FIREMEDIC » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:33 pm

I recently went to the SE USA diatributor wholesaler for Odyssey batteries & the guys were v nice & explained to me about the importance of pre use charging. The battery will never take its full charge if you don't do that 1st before use, it will work but not to the extent of charge storage it is capable of.

They last for many years but you also need to have the proper charging device, you can go to the Optima website & get the specs of the compatible chargers to be sure what you have will give the battery whey it needs to live.

I have a couple of bikes I will be replacing batteries on soon & am going to use Optimas, more $ but longer & better service, less chance of bike damage from spilled acid.

zeeman
honda305.com Member

battery

Post by zeeman » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:42 am

did you find one?
phactory wrote:I am all done with wet batteries. From now on, I only buy dry batteries. I haven't had to get one for my Superhawk yet, but when I need one, I will find one.

Phil

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home