Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Webster NY Dream Project

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
brewsky
honda305.com Member

Post by brewsky » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:52 am

jensen wrote:Hi,

Seems Buco to me,

Jensen
Seems Buco did make a fairing for specific fitment on C72/77 models.
Could be a fairly rare bird.
66 dream, 78 cb750k, 02fz1, 09 wing

jensen
honda305.com Member

Post by jensen » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:08 am

Hi,

If you like to sell the fairing, I'm interested,

Jensen
assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)

bbap
honda305.com Member

Post by bbap » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:10 pm

Jensen: I may take you up on the fairing, but I'll take a whole bunch of photo's prior to, but it will be awhile.
Brewsky: Thanks for the confirms. I still can't quite get a good eye on the frame number.

Day #2: Got it in the house and down the stairs today with a little help from a friend. 350lbs? Seemed to be more like 450lbs as it pretty much pinned me at the bottom of the stairs. That puppy is NOT coming out all together - no way.

First thing done: spray every bolt, nut and threaded item with PB Blaster. Removed spark plugs and sprayed liberally - wait 3 hours.
I had removed the bags in the garage to avoid an accident so removing the rack was a piece of cake.
Removed the seat. Definitely a new cover in the needs column.

Q: When purchasing a new seat cover, does the Chrome outer, decorative piece come with it?

Removed side covers. Bummer, no tool kit. I would think that's where I'd find it...
Cut the fuel lines, is that Tea coming from the hose? Nope, it's about 20 year old gas that stinks big time.
Removed the tank, looks pretty shiny inside. That's a BIG tank!
Gave everything another spray down with the PB blaster and put all the tools away.

Q: What is the best way to remove the carburetor? It appears pretty tucked-in to the frame assembly. Most bikes I've worked on are very accessible, this one, not so much.

Any assistance on the questions are much appreciated! I'll post some pics of the dis-assembly tomorrow, but no major surprises yet...Day 3 will be Carburetor and pipe removal.

Dgormley
honda305.com Member

Seat & Carb

Post by Dgormley » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:06 am

Bap, quite a score there. You'll be hard pressed to find the chrome(stainless) seat trim, if you remove the decorative"clamshell" cover the carb is more accessible. Good luck and welcome..................D Oh by the way, those Buco bags are awesome, don't give them away without consulting me first ;)

brewsky
honda305.com Member

Post by brewsky » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:38 am

bbap wrote: 350lbs? Seemed to be more like 450lbs as it pretty much pinned me at the bottom of the stairs. That puppy is NOT coming out all together - no way.

Q: What is the best way to remove the carburetor? It appears pretty tucked-in to the frame assembly. Most bikes I've worked on are very accessible, this one, not so much.

Any assistance on the questions are much appreciated! I'll post some pics of the dis-assembly tomorrow, but no major surprises yet...Day 3 will be Carburetor and pipe removal.
To get it back up the stairs, one person in front of the bike grabs the front wheel at the top of the rim thru the spokes. The other person from behind to push and steady (the bigger the better!)
One step at a time!

I once carried a disassembled harley down the stairs in pieces and put it together over the winter.
Getting the whole bike back up was easier than getting the engine down by itself.

Removing the carb is not that bad....remove the filter and tube...and the fuel inlet fitting from the right side first.
66 dream, 78 cb750k, 02fz1, 09 wing

bbap
honda305.com Member

Post by bbap » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:57 am

Brewski, thanks! I did as you instructed and I was able to get it out - beauty :)

Out and In / Cold to Warm:
Day 2: 350lbs I was told. I have some serious doubts about that the Honda Dream weighs only 350lbs. I'm thinking 400lbs may be more accurate! We rolled the Dream into my office and into the kitchen. Good thing Em was not around, I think she may have objected. Turning the machine through the Family room and then back through the Kitchen and heading downstairs was, in hindsight, the easy part. I took up the front and Jordan the rear. Not a lot to grab onto. We got it rolling and proceeded down the stairs where it pinned me against the rear wall. With a possible ruptured spleen for me and a dislocated disk for Jordan (kidding), we made the turn to my workshop and just left it. Recooperation needed....and maybe an adult beverage.

The following day, was disassembly day. First I sprayed PB Blaster on every fastener I could find and a couple of hours latter, the seat, tank and both mufflers and manifolds were off and were gently cleaned. My attention turned to the Carburetor. I removed the air filter and air pipe with some effort only to find both a home and a toilet. If you've ever worked on vintage motorcycles or snowmobiles, you will find that for whatever reason, Mice seem to think that a condo project and outhouse is in order whenever they find a vehicle older than 15 years. Unfortunately, they seem to pretty much use the space interchangeably. Out came the vacuum and scrapper and I vac'd a couple of pounds of defecation, urine remnants and razed the mouse house. Mission accomplished and another homeless rodent exists in Webster NY.

With all this PB Blasting, 15 year old gasoline, mouse urine and def., removal, an odd smell has permeated the house and my hands. Yes, I should have used rubber gloves, but I don't have any. Soap will take care of my hands somewhat but the smell...hmmmm, I will need suggestions on that.

Day 3 will be carburetor cleaning - to the bone. I PB Blasted the bowl. The varnish appears so thick it's oozing out....yikes!

Seat Off frame by nestwoodmotors, on Flickr

Just a final note: buy PB Blaster, it works well. Not one bolt has been difficult to remove so far.

jensen
honda305.com Member

Post by jensen » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:18 am

Hi,

What are the long term plans for the bike ?

ride it ?, hide it ? sell it ?

Jensen
assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home