Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Carb Rebuild - putting back together.

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
jleewebb
honda305.com Member

slides

Post by jleewebb » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:56 pm

also make sure slide and carb match, pretty sure they're different left and right, and that slides aren't in backwards?
'62 CB77. "It's a rider."

marlin4622
honda305.com Member

Re: slides

Post by marlin4622 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:54 pm

jleewebb wrote:also make sure slide and carb match, pretty sure they're different left and right, and that slides aren't in backwards?
How would I know if they were backwards?? Or how can I tell if they are left and right ??

brewsky
honda305.com Member

Post by brewsky » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:49 pm

The cutaway (on bottom) of the slides should face the rear of the bike.

Please no grease.....the slides should be able to move up and down freely of their weight.....if not something is wrong.
66 dream, 78 cb750k, 02fz1, 09 wing

marlin4622
honda305.com Member

Post by marlin4622 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:01 am

brewsky wrote:The cutaway (on bottom) of the slides should face the rear of the bike.

Please no grease.....the slides should be able to move up and down freely of their weight.....if not something is wrong.
i interchanged both of them, and one seemed to slip right in and out, but the other was a different story

Hotshoe
honda305.com Member

Post by Hotshoe » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:46 am

If you've checked everything else and you're sure it's not;
-slides reversed
-mounting nuts over tightened (even if you think they're OK, back them off a half turn and check)
-tops reversed (cable should be centered in the slide oriface)
-bent needle valve
-throttle cables routed properly (no sharp bends especially around the top of the carb)
Then..... disconnect the throttle cable, insert the sticking slide into the carb and work it gently up and down with your finger trying to find the slide position where it sticks, look inside the carb slide oriface and see if there are any shiney areas on the oriface wall, that might point you to a solution.
If all else fails - I've used toothpaste as a very fine lapping compound to smooth out a sticking slide.
You'll have to remove the carb to do it, apply a little toothpaste to the slide and work it up and down in the carb with your finger till it feels like it's loosened up then clean it very good and try it, it might take a couple of lap/clean cycles to get it.
Be very careful not to get any toothpaste anywhere but on the slide and oriface and make sure to clean all the toothpaste out but it's water based and easily done.
Again, this should be your last resort because you're removing a little of the finish on your slide and the tighter your slides fit the better your carbs work, but it works great if you have a little ding somewhere.

Sascha
honda305.com Member

Post by Sascha » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:20 pm

So I am looking to my experts on this one... Running a CA77 1966 dream... on the outside inside, I set the screw at the 'horizon' of the float which is all the way screwed in.

On the outside there are two screws, one is facing the side directly, the other is facing an angle... What are they and what should I set them at?!

I know, I make no sense... I am sure someone will understand my stupid talk.
Thanks guys!

-Sascha

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:35 pm

DO ya have any parts books or other printed information?. .........lm

Sascha wrote:So I am looking to my experts on this one... Running a CA77 1966 dream... on the outside inside, I set the screw at the 'horizon' of the float which is all the way screwed in.

On the outside there are two screws, one is facing the side directly, the other is facing an angle... What are they and what should I set them at?!

I know, I make no sense... I am sure someone will understand my stupid talk.
Thanks guys!

-Sascha

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home