□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

question about purchase - choice

4stroke
honda305.com Member

Post by 4stroke » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:26 pm

What a great forum. I wanted to update what is occurring with the cb77 I acquired. A lot of polishing. Electrical examination, carb rebuilding, starter rebuild and general greasing. I filled the bowls with fuel (tank not ready) and kick started the bike which ran beautifully for 3 minutes - hurray! Attached is a picture with the tank, seat and one side cover attached as a group for the first time tonight.

For all - I am in search for a fuel petcock, gas cap and right side cover. I know ebay is a choice, but I thought I would give a shout here first. I have a set of rear wheel adjusters if anyone is interested as well. Thanks for your time!

Brad.
Attachments
temporarily viewing its possibilities
temporarily viewing its possibilities

Dgormley
honda305.com Member

Bravo

Post by Dgormley » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:17 am

Brad, wow, that took all of what? Two weeks! I think you might have a keeper there. That's just a sign of how tough these old birds are.Suitable gas caps are still available from Honda, Retro-bikes has petcock rebuild kits & I'm sure someone around here has a side-cover. Welcome to the forum. Looks good............................D

Loudo
honda305.com Member

oh yeah

Post by Loudo » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:38 pm

Lookin' good, Brad. Looks like you've started about the same way I did. Looking back I can't believe all the different systems I went through and the time it took but man oh man is that bike fun to ride. I rarely take it on the highway but the thing just BEGS to get up in the rpms and the range of the power curve, which is where the good "song" resides too.

Keep us posted...good times, bro!

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:08 pm

I have a spare, stainless (but blemished) OE gas cap that you can have for the cost of the postage, but I'm sure you'd get one from the previous-mentioned sources for less than I could post it to you, which would probably cost me €5 or €6 (>$8). Just ask.

4stroke
honda305.com Member

Post by 4stroke » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:40 pm

Thank you for your replies.

Dgormley - A lot of bleeding fingers. I am using 0000 steel wool to clean the chrome parts and a hammer driver to remove the stubborn screw. When I got his bike, I was eager to explore its potential as a restoration and have found that the more I fiddle with it, the more pleasure I experience in understanding its design.

Luodo - I cannot imagine what it will be like to ride it for the first time. A little scary I suppose in hoping it does not have me pushing it back home.

e3steve - The tank I have is clean on the inside but is missing the fuel petcock and gas cap. Thank you much for your offer but perhaps I should explore the availability through Honda when I get a chance.

For now my issue is removing the screws from the tack cover and the left engine top cover. Its past the screw extractor tool possibility and may just grind the head down with a drimmel. There is always something and some days it goes smoothly and others well, you know.

Brad
Attachments
Picture1.jpg

4stroke
honda305.com Member

Post by 4stroke » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:57 pm

It seems to me concerning the fuel petcock, that I could use one for a BMW r65 (my apologies for non-Honda) in that it is designed as a reserve tap as well. In that case also, the right side line on the tank could be plugged. Thoughts on this or other possibilities? Of course that is if the bung nut on the tank is a match on the threading.

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:57 pm

I now have a later, chrome raised-profile gas cap; it's much easier to grip for removal. Aplenty on eBay. The OE caps were very low-profile, by comparison.

The petcock nut is dual thread -- r/h onto the tank and l/h onto the cock -- with an internally-machined groove, in between the two threads, in which the sealing washer sits. You offer the cock up to the tank outlet, with the special nut in between, and turn the nut onto said outlet; the nut then draws the two threads together without needing to twist the petcock (which you can't, as it's too close to the l/h carb).

Look, I have a spare petcock that's in reasonable order but needs a service kit. I was keeping it as they're as rare as rocking-horse crap. If no-one else can help I'll consider selling it.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home