□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Now I know what it is... what is it?

wargoth
honda305.com Member

Post by wargoth » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:49 pm

actually the bike is "unique". see my earlier pictures of the #'s. nobody has been able to give me any kind of double blind proof of what it really is. the reputed last word, from what I have read is David Silver, and after emailing a pic of the #'s they tell me "congratulations" on recently aquiring a extremely rare early production bike. Everything else has been refuted by other info. I have a book that says the CB77 was released in 1964. Dont believe everything you read.so from my point of view, it is you (take this as you wish) who are sounding jealous. all I asked for is info about the machine, and possibly 1 part, and now I have an attitude about recommendations over ridiculous prices.
FYI I bought a kicker at a local salvage for $25 today. needed a little cleaning, but in good shape. so scratch the lookout...
Thanks for all who have put time into helping me figure out the details, I do appreciate your time, and I will try to give back what I can during this project.
to those of you who would want to start something about my excitement, get help:P
'61 CB77, '72 TC125, '72 CB350F, '73 CB350G, '76 CB400T, '79 XR80, '79 XS750 (850), '83 CB650S, '84 KDX250,'91 YZ 250

wargoth
honda305.com Member

Post by wargoth » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:05 am

Also, I enjoy rebuilding and restoring classic Japaneese motorcycles. It has been a passion of mine for years . I enjoy doing it, and helping others get something to appreciate the introduction of a new era of 2 wheel extacy. The stuff that Japan made changed the world over, and that cannot be refuted. Even today Japaneese engineering is the most cutting edege of performance and reliability.

I did not get this bike to get rich, but it is rare, and it is one,of a classic era that will inspire people for decades to come. I do hope to make a profit from it, that is real life. The guy I got it from was trying to profit too. I dont dislike him for it. Who here doesnt try to make a living doing something they like doing? It is not my cup of tea particularly, but I have specific tastes. Helps me to be a little impartial. I prefer fixing flying machines ( I do have a degree as Master Motorcycle mechanic and and also an FAA airframe and powerplant certification with 17 years of experience, which tends to make you meticulous and prone to using approved data for any repair) to anything that rolls over the ground constantly.

Dont get me wrong, I am not a guru when it comes to this stuff, especially stuff this old. But I have fixed/restored/modified M/C for years. I can rebuild a carb blindfolded, both ways, if I have to. Electrical stuff messes with my head when you get in too deep. I am not a racing bike builder or tuner. But I can get antique to purr like new if it isnt mangled... I am always happy to hear a diffrent POV, or a hot tip.

But people who want to say I have an attitude about advice that seems off track or unreasonable, I hope that they keep their anonymous, self absorbed, internet protected, opinions to them selves. Especially veteran members who should be impartial.

To the rest of you, who genuinely want to get information for the sake of good information, I appreciate your input and will try to help you if I can. I will not judge you (especially in a public forum), or criticize you, but do my best to solve problems.
'61 CB77, '72 TC125, '72 CB350F, '73 CB350G, '76 CB400T, '79 XR80, '79 XS750 (850), '83 CB650S, '84 KDX250,'91 YZ 250

wargoth
honda305.com Member

Post by wargoth » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:56 am

Also FYI I was looking for a kick start lever, since Honda says in the service manual to check the compression with the kick starter lever and not the electric starter.

Sorry I was trying to get a fresh start by the book on this project...

jensen
honda305.com Member

Post by jensen » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:40 am

Hi,

Is war goth your real name ? What is your age ?
Do you intend to be named after the gods of war ? Is it war you want ?
Because the way you reacted on G-man, your avatar will bring what it stands for.

You have a sharp tongue, why ?

Like Mr. silver said, it is a unique bike, but isn't any CB72 / CB77 a unique bike ?
The engine number says it's a 64, and the numbers run from 100000 to 109755, so you have one out of 10.000 bikes starting with 1, so what ? You have an early 64, and maybe you find 1963 on the tag, but it ain't a '61.

61'ones start with 11 not 10. There are CB72 out there from 1960, or even 1959, 1960 start with 10, but contain 5 digits, not six. Besides that, there is no breather on the case so it isn't a 61 or a 60.

I insist you pay some respect to the people on the forum, because that's the way things can be discussed. Older people may have different views on things, but that doesn't make them senile.

A good discussion based on different views is good and can be a step forward in gaining knowledge about these bikes.

I doubt that the persons reacted on your questions are jealous in any way. Most of them have more bikes and parts you can image.

Who are you ? Someone who tried to shoot the person who wanted to help you ?

Some parts are expensive, some not, and if you are patience and want to spend a lot of time search for parts, you will find parts cheap. I have nothing against people who want to make a profit of these bikes, or parts, but I'm sure that wasn't the intention of G-man. I know him as an honest and helpful person, just like Steve and Ed (loud mouse) and other forum members who spend their free time with building up a knowledge base like this forum.

Having said that, I posted two pictures of top engine cases, the first one is a 1961 model, with the engine breather, the second one is of the models after 61, thus from 1962 and further.

Compare yours with these pictures, and see for your self.

Jensen

btw, is your CB350F original ?, I myself have a 1975 CB400F, a really nice bike.
Attachments
1962 and further CB case.jpg
1961 CB engine case.jpg
Last edited by jensen on Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:59 am

Anonymous:
I go by the handle of Loud Mouse as I ride a 1963 CB77 with megs and it is a Mouse That Roars. (one year older than your "UNIQUE" bike)
JEALOUS! Surely ya jest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My actual name I vote with is EDWARD MOORE and I live in TEXAS.
As ya told us your background "so I will tell mine to ya".
72 years old, born in KS, MO.
35 years in telephone industry, retired as a supervisor.
3 years as a "FLIGHT TEST TECHNICIAN" on the "B2 BOMBER".
Raced Calif. Desert and Moto Cross then on to Mickey Thompson in the Stadium Super Lite class then to SCCA 440 class and then quit the racing scene as I wanted to stop having to work somewhere. (takes a bunch of $$$ to race)
Bought my first HONDA CL72 in 1963 then another in 1964.
Kept an eye on these C/CB/CL72/77 bikes through the years and 1985 I REALLY started buying parts and data.
Have restored apx. 10 CL's and 8 CB's with one in the AMA museum and another in a PENN.
museum. (I prefer folks would ride them)
I still rebuild these bikes (as much as time allows) and have been a member of this forum for many, many years.
As I have many years of GREASY HANDS plus lots of HONDA data I probably have more WORKING knowledge of these bikes than anyone on this or any forum and I share it freely.
Silver Spares has shown they don't have a clue what the actual year of production for your bike number.
Ask HONDA the same question and THEY DON'T EITHER. (been there with those employs who work there now)
Member J. has offered good/correct info and ya may want to take the time to believe it.
WHY?
It's only one of many ways to I.D. these bikes and so far ya have ignored those who offered info/help.
Do I see an attitude here feller?. ...........(that's for ya there J.). ..........lm

actually the bike is <<<<<<<"unique">>> WHY?>>>>>>>>>. see my earlier pictures of the #'s. nobody has been able to give me any kind of double blind proof <<<OH REALLY?>>>>>>>>of what it really is. the reputed last word, from what I have read is David Silver, and after emailing a pic of the #'s they tell me <<<<<<<<<"congratulations" on recently aquiring a extremely rare early production bike.>>>>>> NOT TRUE!>>>>>>>>> Everything else has been refuted by other info. I have a book that says the CB77 was released in 1964.<<<<AND 1961/62/63/64/65/66/AND ENDED IN 1967>>> Dont believe everything you read.so from my point of view, it is you (take this as you wish)<<<< who are sounding jealous.>>>>> REALLY!!!!!!!!!>>>>>> all I asked for is info about the machine, and possibly 1 part, and now I have an attitude about recommendations over ridiculous prices.
Dont believe everything you read.<<<<<OR WHAT SILVER SPARES TELL YA!!!!!!>>>>>>so from my point of view, it is you (take this as you wish) who are sounding jealous. all I asked for is info about the machine, and possibly 1 part, and now I have an attitude about recommendations over <<<<<< ridiculous prices.>>>>>> TO YA FOR SURE!!!!!!!>>>>>>>>>>

teazer wrote:LM. Spot on.

He appears to think he has some unique super high dollar bike and gets all prissy when people provide links he doesn't like. He has made it clear that he wants to flip the bike and expects to make a good profit for his incredible ability to be a shrewd buyer and seller.

Attitude does appear to be an issue.

Sure, prices can be higher than one might expect. That's life. Search and be patient or pay the prices and get it now. Parts were never cheap even when I was picking up loads of stuff off the floor of dealers going out of business.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

ATTITUDE

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:42 am

As I'm always up front with ya forum members there are times I PM with just simple statements/info/suspicions.
I don't send things as these PM as even though I may feel certain ways I either send my offerings to the open forum or say nothing at all.
A couple of PM to me from What's His Name!.
He can PM all he likes and I feel compelled to share his ATTITUDE with ya'll.
Where did I Talk Junk about ya?
Your possible ATTITUDE was my part.
Sort of looks like I pegged ya for sure!
Sink Or Swim FELLER! .............lm

You are considered high in the food chain of this forum. But you try to talk junk about me, not even having a clue about me at all.

I came here hoping for a little help,and I get trash talked about by you and others in this forum for no apparent reason.

Sorry about your childhood and stuff, but get over it. I didnt do anything to you to deserve this but ask a member if he was joking about prices too high to comprehend for an incomplete assembly. Sorry if this response hurts your sensibilites, I will refrain from criticizing anybody publicly, personally here. Hope you can do the same.

Just trying to get a little help, sounds like you dont know the "last word" in this matter either and I am not sure if you are jealous or just mean.

BTW looking at your profile you are a retired "bomper tec" is this a leftover from romper room?

Notice this is a pm, and not in a public forum?

LOUD MOUSE wrote:Anonymous:
I go by the handle of Loud Mouse as I ride a 1963 CB77 with megs and it is a Mouse That Roars. (one year older than your "UNIQUE" bike)
JEALOUS! Surely ya jest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My actual name I vote with is EDWARD MOORE and I live in TEXAS.

Gun
honda305.com Member

Post by Gun » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:47 am

by god I love LM.
'65 CB77
'66 CB450k0
'93 HD FXR

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home