Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Now I know what it is... what is it?

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:39 am

Hey!

Don't shoot the messenger! You've just discovered the Achilles heel of this bike. If you look at the picture of mine you will see that the engine ceasing is also missing. There is a gear in their also to reverse the rotation. The case cracks and the whole assembly gets robbed off 'parts' bikes.

If you are patient or someone here feels sorry for you, you will get parts at a reasonable cost. Otherwise.......

Try buying a set of original mufflers - you can spend three times the price you paid for that 'early' CB77. :-)

Welcome to the journey

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:44 am

Forget the k/s pedal for now; looks like you have much more pressing details to attend to there! Once the motor's health is established, and you re-plant it in the frame, in the interim clip up to a car battery and spin the motor using the electric starter.

If I was putting your jigsaw back together then the k/s pedal would be one of the last pieces to be inserted.

If you're splitting the motor apart, replace the k/s pawl, spring & plunger as a matter of course; you should also closely inspect the condition of the k/s shaft and the inside of the 1st-gear cog. Do a forum search from the link here, bottom of the l/h pane, for 'kickstart', 'kick start' and other gearbox-related subject matter and swot-up on the 305's (or 247's) peculiarities.

cyclon36
honda305.com Member

Post by cyclon36 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:55 am

wargoth wrote: The lever says NOS but looks covered in rust, claims it is good.
Shopping for parts for this bike on ebay, you'll quickly discover that NOS holds absolutely no meaning anymore and people just tack it on at will. You'll see the crustiest, dirtiest, banged up and worn over parts labeled as NOS. Most of the reproduction parts from Taiwan are labeled as NOS. Don't be fooled by the honda logo bag that they sit on either. That's a reproduction as well.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:58 am

????????????????
Am I seeing an attitude here fellers? .......................lm

wargoth wrote:you are not really serious are you? $80 for a kick starter parts, and it is not even close to a complete assembly. The lever says NOS but looks covered in rust, claims it is goo. Need spring, circlip and rubber boot, so say for $120 I could build a kick starter lever, if I can find the rest of the parts on ebay. And from the looks of it, the lever is rusty too. I will scour every salvage yard before I would stoop so low as to pay the extortionist prices you suggested.
Not that I dont appreciate your trying, but I asked if anybody has a spare assy to sell.
For another $180 and the price of that idea, I could buy another bike for what I paid for this one. IMO it is not that cool, I like it, but... No bike is gonna put me in the poor house misc parts.

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:25 am

cyclon36 wrote:
wargoth wrote: The lever says NOS but looks covered in rust, claims it is good.
Shopping for parts for this bike on ebay, you'll quickly discover that NOS holds absolutely no meaning anymore and people just tack it on at will. You'll see the crustiest, dirtiest, banged up and worn over parts labeled as NOS. Most of the reproduction parts from Taiwan are labeled as NOS. Don't be fooled by the honda logo bag that they sit on either. That's a reproduction as well.
Some agreement from this corner, too. Although not all of the Asians yank down yer pants, they are getting bloody cheeky.

I recently bought a NOS swingarm that was rust-peppered, on the surface, from 40-odd years of shelf-storage. It rubbed down, back to metal, and was pretty well OK under the thin paint (no primer, as lm will confirm); and it is NOS. The sidestand from Thailand fits and works well, but my bracket needed a bit of bending

But, have you all noticed how they've done their homework on desirability and have started upping the ante? I mean, GB£75 --US$120 -- for a bloody rear brake cable (not the original type with the grease nipple, either!)? Pi55 off, boys!

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:29 am

LOUD MOUSE wrote:????????????????
Am I seeing an attitude here fellers? .......................lm

wargoth wrote:you are not really serious are you? $80 for a kick starter parts, and it is not even close to a complete assembly. The lever says NOS but looks covered in rust, claims it is goo. Need spring, circlip and rubber boot, so say for $120 I could build a kick starter lever, if I can find the rest of the parts on ebay. And from the looks of it, the lever is rusty too. I will scour every salvage yard before I would stoop so low as to pay the extortionist prices you suggested.
Not that I dont appreciate your trying, but I asked if anybody has a spare assy to sell.
For another $180 and the price of that idea, I could buy another bike for what I paid for this one. IMO it is not that cool, I like it, but... No bike is gonna put me in the poor house misc parts.
I don't think so, Ed. I think wargoth was just sounding-off in general about stuff most of us already know.

Wargoth, I reckon you'll get the bug soon enough; and your passion could well overtake your reticence to part with your hard-earned!

teazer
honda305.com Member

Post by teazer » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:26 pm

LM. Spot on.

He appears to think he has some unique super high dollar bike and gets all prissy when people provide links he doesn't like. He has made it clear that he wants to flip the bike and expects to make a good profit for his incredible ability to be a shrewd buyer and seller.

Attitude does appear to be an issue.

Sure, prices can be higher than one might expect. That's life. Search and be patient or pay the prices and get it now. Parts were never cheap even when I was picking up loads of stuff off the floor of dealers going out of business.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home