jensen
honda305.com Member

Post by jensen » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:41 pm

Hi,

Like this ?

Jensen
Attachments
oil cooler.JPG
assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:51 pm

Yup. That's the one, J-man. And thanks for reminding me, a while back, of John's name; as a result I was able to find his YouTube post,

I'm sure he did a great job of banging the nails in, but that cooler is just too tall to be aesthetically-pleasing. That's also the bike with the 110 MegaWatt alternator from the Moto Guzzi. Thanks for that document too.

Now I've said I don't like his cooler I'm going to make a right pig's arse of mine when I hammer it into place, and then you're all going to laugh at me........¦-((

jensen
honda305.com Member

Post by jensen » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:49 am

Hi,

I don't intend to shake things up, but I think an oil cooler isn't necessary on these bikes, but I have to admit, this is from my point of view in the Netherlands with a very moderate climate.

Only excessive speeds during long highway trips in the summer heat will maybe demand for an oil cooler. The worst thing that happens is that oil loses it's lubricating capability, but as I stated earlier in this thread, changing the oil often, and using good oil will prevent that from happening.

Jensen
assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)

ahrma79
honda305.com Member

Post by ahrma79 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:16 am

48lesco wrote: Oh yeah, and don't idle with the headlight on for any length of time... I guess the engineering wasn't all perfect:) Good luck and let us know how it comes out!
Forgive me for not knowing, but what part fails when you do this?

cyclon36
honda305.com Member

Post by cyclon36 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:33 am

ahrma79 wrote:
48lesco wrote: Oh yeah, and don't idle with the headlight on for any length of time... I guess the engineering wasn't all perfect:) Good luck and let us know how it comes out!
Forgive me for not knowing, but what part fails when you do this?
No part fails. The generator doesn't create enough energy at idle to power the headlight. If you leave the headlight on for too long at idle, it drains your battery out.

Speaking of that issue, anybody have feedback on this: http://www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com ... dIb25DQjc3

overview of the product: http://www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com ... da_kit.pdf

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:54 pm

jensen wrote:Hi,

I don't intend to shake things up, but I think an oil cooler isn't necessary on these bikes, but I have to admit, this is from my point of view in the Netherlands with a very moderate climate.

Only excessive speeds during long highway trips in the summer heat will maybe demand for an oil cooler. The worst thing that happens is that oil loses it's lubricating capability, but as I stated earlier in this thread, changing the oil often, and using good oil will prevent that from happening.

Jensen
Or possibly long periods of idling in traffic in summer heat? That's my viewpoint and, at times, my riding habit; traffic, narrow one-way streets, no room to move past safely, up to 40ºC ambient temperatures and sometimes 20 minutes wait before managing to even achieve walking pace. Hence my rationale.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:31 pm

Well ya got me a going!
I agree as HONDA made thousands of the bikes with this engine design and to the horror to some.
Lots are still running!!!!!!!!. ..lm

jensen wrote:Hi,

Jensen

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home