Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

carb to block-block to cylinder intake air leak fix

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
shodan
honda305.com Member

carb to block-block to cylinder intake air leak fix

Post by shodan » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:02 pm

I have been working to fix air leaks on my Honda 305 scrambler, between the carb and the intake blocks and the blocks and the head intake ports. I tried the figure eight sandpaper on the carb , the blocks, and some clean up on the head intake ports.

I have improved but not corrected, the leaks are located on top and bottom of the round thin area located on the carbs and the blocks This is the area the most distance from the stud nut attach points, it has the least amount of surface area to seal and is the farthest from the torque points, that makes sense as to why it has air leaks . still gap at .002 inch.

I tried new o rings a guy on ebay was selling but the material was hard as a rock and would not compress at all. i suspect new o rings would solve the problem but have not found any that are both the right diameter and size?

Has anyone tried making a gasket for the fwd and aft side of the block and or use 1104 liquid gasket to seal the leak? that is my next tactic? Or does anyone have a cource for new o rings?

The carb flages were over tightened and that warped the carbs

, the blocks can only be sanded so far then the o ring groove is made too shallow

same with the carb,

the head oraface has grooves in the aluminum which I have removed but the low spot is still top and bottom of the oriface. Without new carbs and blocks I just do not see any other way to get a 100% seal.

prima5star
honda305.com Member

Post by prima5star » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:19 pm

McMaster has O-rings in lots of different sizes and material. I'm sure you can get a Viton Ring for your application off their web site www.mcmaster.com that is new and pliable.
Matt

Also into Alfa Romeo Giuliettas and Giulias! Looking for a Giulia Super.

kustommusic
honda305.com Member

Post by kustommusic » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:32 pm

Shodan, I was able to go thru the O-ring supply at my local NAPA store and find what I wanted. In my case I had the idea a thicker O-ring might also act as a vibration reducer of sorts. But for your needs a thicker O-ring might do the trick. Steve Greer

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home